Sun Devil baseball drops series at Oregon

ASU was outscored just 8-6 over the weekend

ASU freshman catcher Lyle Lin (27) is up to bat in a baseball game versus CSU Bakersfield at the Phoenix Municipal Stadium in Tempe, Arizona on Sunday, April 23, 2017. The Sun Devils lost 8-6.

The Sun Devils were playing better baseball going into a 10-game stretch of Pac-12 opponents, but they opened that critical conference stretch with a series loss at the University of Oregon (25-14, 8-10 Pac-12).

ASU (19-22, 6-12 Pac-12) sent senior Eder Erives, junior Eli Lingos and freshman Chaz Montoya to the mound in that order as its starting pitchers in Eugene, Ore. Though Lingos – who often pitches as the “ace” on Friday nights – got the win on Saturday, neither Erives nor Montoya were as fortunate.

But Erives and Montoya’s losses were caused largely by a lack of run support. They each kept their respective games within reach, but the Sun Devil offense fell short.

Game One

Erives, who started the season in the back end of the bullpen for ASU, pitched in the series-opener on Friday. He pitched a gem, allowing four hits and three walks but just one earned run over eight innings.

But the right-hander’s four-strikeout, 101-pitch outing was spoiled by Oregon ace David Peterson, who picked up his ninth win of the season by tossing a 20-strikeout complete-game shutout.

There was no mercy by Peterson on the Sun Devil offense, which collected just four hits, two of which coming from junior infielder Taylor Lane.

ASU lost 2-0.

Game Two

ASU’s only win of the weekend came on Saturday behind Lingos, the starting pitcher. He went 6 2/3 innings, allowing eight hits and three walks with four strikeouts. But he held the Ducks to just two runs on 109 pitches before the bullpen went to work.

Junior right-hander Jake Godfrey, sophomore lefty Connor Higgins and freshman right-hander Sam Ferri pitched in relief after Lingos. Godfrey gave up the lone run among Sun Devil relievers.

In all, Sun Devil pitching allowed three runs, outdueling Oregon just enough to earn the victory.

Lane hit two home runs, going 2-for-4 with two RBI. Junior Andrew Shaps and sophomore Gage Canning each collected RBI, as well.

ASU won 4-3.

Game Three

Like Erives, Montoya also started the season in the bullpen before being moved to a starting role. He took the bump again Sunday, going just 4 1/3 innings with seven hits and four walks. His three earned runs earned him the loss, as Oregon pitching held the Sun Devil bats relatively quiet once again.

The Ducks started sophomore Cole Stringer, who pitched 5 2/3 innings and allowed only one run. ASU picked up just two RBI on Stringer from freshmen Hunter Bishop and Carter Aldrete. Bishop went 2-for-4.

But Oregon defeated ASU 3-2, picking up a series win.

The Sun Devils will come back home to begin summer break with a series against Stanford. The first game in that set is on Friday at 6:30.

Reach the reporter at matthew.layman@asu.edu or follow @Mattjlayman on Twitter.

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepresssport on Twitter.

×