Sun Devil offense shines in ASU football spring game

The Sun Devils' first-team maroon offense played well as the quarterbacks and receivers made noticeable strides

ASU redshirt junior Manny Wilkins (5) throws a touchdown during the annual Spring Football Game in Sun Devil Stadium in Tempe, Arizona on Saturday, April 17, 2017.

If the spring serves as any indication, ASU football should have no trouble on offense next season.

The Sun Devils first-team maroon offense effectively executed their offense to the tune of a 60-3 win over the white team. Granted, they were going up against the defensive backups.

Nonetheless, it was an encouraging sign for ASU's offensive unit.

Redshirt junior quarterback Manny Wilkins was very impressive for the maroon team. He made quick reads and delivered accurate passes that were right where only his receivers could get them. Wilkins was awarded the game MVP for his performance.

Redshirt sophomore Blake Barnett, the other quarterback for the maroon squad, got off to a shaky start in his first few drives by poorly throwing some balls down the field. But he bounced back, throwing multiple touchdowns later in the game and even taking the ball into the end zone with his feet.

“You know just getting my feet settled, I had a couple of throws that I think I made the right reads just the balls were kind of carrying on me,” Barnett said. “But I think I got more comfortable as the game went on.”

As well as the quarterbacks played, the maroon wide receivers also had a fantastic outing. Redshirt sophomore wide receiver John Humphrey stood out the most, hauling in four touchdowns, including two long scoring receptions.

Humphrey clearly had a good rapport with both the maroon quarterbacks and attributed some of that to spring practice.

“It was really me and the quarterbacks just being on the same page, and things just started clicking and I had success," Humphrey said.

After redshirting and later transferring from Oklahoma, Humphrey hadn't played in an actual football game in two years, so after his fabulous spring game showing he was exuberant to start the season.

“I’m glad that football season is here," he said. "No more waiting it’s my time now."

Humphrey wasn't the only receiver to contribute, as redshirt sophomore Ryan Newsome snatched two touchdowns and redshirt junior Jalen Harvey consistently made great grabs out of the slot.

"Jalen has been Mr. Dependable for the entire spring," ASU offensive coordinator Billy Napier said. "He's a great competitor, he's tough, he's got great ball skills. He does a good job playing in the slot for us and he's found a little niche on our team and he's a guy who's really impressed me just with his ability to show up and compete at a high level."

The maroon offensive line looked good and the first team running backs all were effective. For what it's worth, sophomore receiver N'Keal Harry did not play. Harry was second in receiving yards for ASU in 2016.

The next time the Sun Devils play in a game environment will be on Aug. 31, when they host the New Mexico State Aggies at Sun Devil Stadium to kick off the 2017 season.

Reach the reporter at mpharri7@asu.edu or follow @Harris_Mark7 on Twitter.

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepressport on Twitter.

×