ASU outfielder Gage Canning is already making a name for himself

Sun Devils field manager Tracy Smith wants to build future teams around the sophomore

ASU sophomore outfielder Gage Canning (12) dives back safely to first base after a pick-off attempt during a baseball game against the UNLV Rebels at Phoenix Municipal Stadium in Phoenix, Arizona on Tuesday, April 11, 2017. ASU won 5-3.

The 2017 season has not gone according to plan for  ASU baseball, but head coach Tracy Smith believes in the process and thinks the future is bright.

The third-year head coach knows his team is young and growing pains come with the territory. After ASU dropped the series opener to Arizona Thursday, Smith was asked about the play of sophomore outfielder Gage Canning.

"I am so excited to build our team next year around that kid (Canning),” Smith said. “You want your young guys coming into the program and say, 'Look at how he is doing,' on a daily basis, and I promise you that will translate.”

Even after a 0-for-4 night against the Wildcats Friday, Canning still leads the team in batting average (.330), hits (68), runs scored (37), triples (7) and total bases (110). 

Smith said he loves the way the Ramona, California native leads by example and plays the game.

“He’s probably said 20 words since he has been here in his two years, but it just goes to show you leadership isn’t all about mouth,” Smith said. “It’s about going out and doing stuff. He is a great example of that. He is a fun guy to coach.”

This season, Canning has spent time in the leadoff spot and the lower part of the order and the numbers indicate he has done the job. 

Nationally, Canning’s seven triples rank fourth. To crack the all-time program top-five triples list, the left-handed batter needs to add seven more three-baggers to his current career total of 13.

The exercise and wellness major is a power threat at the plate, and once he gets on base Canning can disrupt the rhythm of opposing pitchers with his speed. Canning leads the team with six home runs and seven stolen bases.

“It means that he has a good amount of confidence in me,” Canning said. "I think with a good amount of returners coming back next year, he will want to build the team around guys that perform well this year and the guys he knows are going to step up and play well."

On Thursday, Canning was on base three times with two walks and a mammoth solo home run to right-center field in the fifth inning. With a 0-1 count, Arizona starter JC Cloney threw a breaking ball that stayed right over the middle of the plate, and Canning did not miss it.

Power is typically not on the scouting report for a batter at the top or bottom of the batting order, but Canning’s team-leading .545 slugging percentage seems to indicate he has raw pop.

"When I hit it, I was pretty sure I got all of it but I didn't think it would go quite that far," Canning said. "I've never been the guy that is going to hit a lot of home runs, just here and there." 

Canning is just focused on doing everything right. 

"When I need to do a sac bunt, sac bunt," Canning said. "When I need to steal, steal. Just doing everything well." 

Not only is Canning one of ASU’s best hitters, Smith said Canning is “by far” the Sun Devils' best outfielder. The 2015 Louisville Slugger High School First Team All-American has tallied 118 putouts and six assists

Splitting time between right and center field this season, Canning has started 36 games in RF and 12 in CF. Furthermore, he is one of four ASU players with zero errors (1.000 fielding percentage) but Canning has easily had the most chances.

Smith said Canning will likely play in center next season.

Fellow outfielder Hunter Bishop has played with Canning all season. The freshman said he has learned a lot playing with Canning. 

“He has done a really good job of leading by example and by words, it's been awesome playing with him,” Bishop said.

Bishop said the aspect Canning helped him the most was improving his defense. 

"I came in, I was really bad on defense and I think a lot of that was just nerves and just getting used to the college level of play," Bishop said. "Gage is an unbelievable defender. The biggest thing he helped me with in outfield work was just staying calm and relaxed and taking it pitch by pitch." 

Smith said some players can get emotional and caught up in records, but said Canning is different.

“You come and watch practice, you will see Gage run out every single ground ball hard," Smith said. "You watch a pop up he hits, Gage Canning runs out every baseball hard.”

Reach the reporter at jpjacqu1@asu.edu or follow @joejacquezaz on Twitter.

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepresssport on Twitter. 

×