ASU baseball rallies in the ninth, but falls short to Arizona, 9-5

The Sun Devils were swept by Arizona in a three-game series at home for the first time since 1989

ASU Freshman Infielder Carter Aldrete (21) fields a ground ball in the second inning of a baseball game against the Arizona Wildcats. The grab recorded the second out of the inning and retired Arizona Center Fielder Jared Oliva at Phoenix Municipal Stadium in Phoenix, Arizona on Saturday, May 20, 2017. ASU lost 5-9

No. 18 Arizona (36-17, 15-12 Pac-12) spoiled the senior day party for ASU baseball and swept the three-game series in the Sun Devils (23-29, 8-19 Pac-12) 2017 home finale 9-5, in front of 4,037 fans.

On a night when the Sun Devils honored seniors Zach Cerbo and Eder Erives during pregame ceremonies, Arizona took control early. 

Arizona struck for three runs in the first inning and quickly quieted the Sun Devil faithful at Phoenix Municipal Stadium.

Junior JJ Matijevic began the night by beating out a ground ball hit into the shift at second base. The next batter, catcher Ryan Haug tripled and sent Matijevic home for the first run of the night. 

Left fielder Alfonso Rivas doubled down the left field line making the score 2-0. Second baseman Kyle Lewis singled with two outs, Rivas scored and it was 3-0 Wildcats after a half inning.

Only one of the Wildcats three runs in the inning was charged to Sun Devils starter Chaz Montoya. ASU could not answer in the bottom of the first against Wildcats starter Cody Denson, despite Canning leading off with a double.

The Wildcats went up 4-0 in the top of third after Haug reached on an error by third baseman Jeremy McCuin. The junior Haug stole second, reached third on a wild pitch and scored on a double play.

After the double play, Montoya walked the next two batters and head coach Tracy Smith had seen enough of his southpaw starter. Junior reliever Ryan Hingst recorded the final out and stranded Matijevic at third. Montoya allowed four runs (one earned) on four hits,

ASU answered in their half of the third with one run. Shortstop Andrew Snow, batting in the nine-hole, walked. One batter later, Canning drove in Snow with his second hustle double of the game. 

Hingst started the Wildcats half of the fourth but the right-hander started the frame by walking Arizona junior right-fielder Cal Stevenson. Hingst struck out Wildcats center fielder Jared Oliva looking but the heart of the Arizona order loomed. The two-hole hitter Matijevic doubled to right field on a 3-2 pitch, his 27th two-bagger of the season which scored and Arizona led 6-1.

Arizona added three tack-on-runs in the top of the ninth. With three outs to play with and down 9-1, ASU launched a spirited comeback that ultimately fell short. 

The first five batters in the inning reached base. Third baseman Jeremy McCuin started the frame with a single. Freshman Nick Cheema came off the bench and delivered a RBI double. With the score 9-3, fellow freshman Myles Denson reached on a dropped third strike. 

Sophomore Gage Canning followed with his third hit of the night, a two-run triple. ASU would add another run on a RBI single from first baseman Lyle Lin but a groundout and two flyouts to center ended the game.

Head coach Tracy Smith said the way the season played out, he is looking for some positives and said the ninth inning rally was one.

"They battled till the last out and that is what you are looking for right now," Smith said. "It is just disappointing because it's been the tale of the tape."

"We dropped a pop up in the first that cost us three runs and we did not turn a double play in the ninth and it cost us three runs," Smith said. "It was right there but we did the formula we did all season. I am proud of the way the guys kept playing but it's frustrating because you know your right there and those things are going to have to get better moving forward."

A total of 11 pitchers were used in a game that lasted four hours.

Reach the reporter at jpjacqu1@asu.edu or follow @joejacquezaz on Twitter.

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepresssport on Twitter. 

×