ASU baseball comes back to win 6-4 over Seattle

Arizona State baseball closed out its road trip in the Pacific Northwest with a 6-4 victory over the Seattle University Redhawks.

ASU freshman outfielder Hunter Bishop celebrates with his teammates after hitting a home run in a baseball game versus CSU Bakersfield at the Phoenix Municipal Stadium in Tempe, Arizona on Sunday, April 23, 2017. The Sun Devils lost 8-6.

Arizona State baseball closed out its road trip in the Pacific Northwest with a 6-4 victory over the Seattle University Redhawks (18-31-1).

Aside from a solo home run from senior catcher Zach Cerbo, the Sun Devils (23-26) were stagnant for most of the game, finding themselves in a 4-1 deficit in the seventh inning. 

Seattle had some decent success against ASU freshman starting pitcher Chaz Montoya, who pitched five innings, giving up five hits and three runs, one earned. Redhawk hitters Dalton Hurd and Jeffrey Morgan both recorded RBIs against Montoya.

But the Sun Devils quickly took the lead in the seventh, starting with a two-RBI single from sophomore third baseman Jeremy McCuin. After freshman left fielder Myles Denson stole home off a wild pitch, freshman right fielder Hunter Bishop chipped in with a RBI bunt single. When the scoring binge was over, ASU led 5-4.

Sophomore centerfielder Gage Canning scored on a Seattle error in the top of the ninth to put the Sun Devils up 6-4. 

Sophomore reliever Connor Higgins closed the door on the Redhawks with a four-out save. 

The Sun Devils return to Phoenix Municipal Stadium to play the University of Arizona this weekend. The first game starts Thursday at 6 p.m.

Reach the reporter at mpharri7@asu.edu or follow @Harris_Mark7 on Twitter.

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepressport on Twitter.

×