ASU to host 2020-2022 NCAA golf championships at Grayhawk Golf Club

This marks the first time any university or golf club will host three consecutive golf national championships

Monica Vaughn tees-off on the fifth hole on Friday, April 8, 2016, during the 2016 Ping ASU Invitational at Karsten Golf Course in Tempe, Arizona.

The NCAA announced on Tuesday that ASU and Grayhawk Golf Club in Scottsdale, Arizona will host the 2020, 2021 and 2022 NCAA Division I Men’s and Women’s Golf Championships.

This marks the first time that any university or golf course will host three consecutive NCAA golf championships.

In a press release, Jim Fee, chair of the Division I Women’s Golf Committee said, “By choosing one host location for a three-period beginning in 2020, we will be able to maximize the operations efficiency around the championships while building marketing continuity…”

It’s been a productive year for both the men’s and women’s ASU golf teams. With construction starting this summer on their new home course, both teams left long-time home Karsten Golf Course with a bang. 

ASU golf performed well in the 2016-17 NCAA Championships; the women's team brought home a first-place trophy, and the men’s team earned a 16th place finish. Not only did the ASU women win the team title, senior Monica Vaughn claimed an individual championship victory.

The championship tournaments will be played on Grayhawk’s “Raptor” course, which has been listed in Golf Magazine as one of the “Best Public Golf Courses in Arizona.”

Since Graywhawk opened to the public in 1994, the course has played host to some impressive tournaments including several Frys.com Opens and the Williams World Challenge in 2000.

Raptor, a standard par-72 course, features 7,090 yards of beautiful fairways and hills, along with a picturesque backdrop of the Arizona desert. The course will undeniably serve as a challenge to the golfers that make it to the championship tournaments.

Arizona last hosted the Men’s Division I Golf Championship in 1971 at Tucson National Golf Club in Tucson, Arizona. The last Women’s Division I Golf Championship that was hosted in Arizona was played at Karsten Golf Course in 1992.

“It was difficult choosing a site that could host for three years,” Brad Hurlburt, chair of the Division I Men’s Golf Committee, said in a release. “Grayhawk and Arizona State will be great hosts for the 2020 to 2022 National Championships.”

Reach the reporter at @trittenhouse34@gmail.com and follow @tritt55 on Twitter.

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepresssport on Twitter. 

×