ASU football opens fall practice

The ASU football team kicked off its new season with fall practice on Tuesday

ASU Sun Devils head coach Todd Graham yells to players during a game against the USC Trojans in the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum on Saturday, Oct. 1, 2016.

On a hot and noticeably humid Tuesday morning on the Kajikawa practice fields, the Arizona State Football team began its fall practices.

Heading into the 2017 season, the Sun Devils have enough talent to be competitive. Last year's starting quarterback, redshirt junior Manny Wilkins, has come into camp as the incumbent.

"My job is to come in here and put my best foot forward and be the starting quarterback of this football team," Wilkins said on Tuesday. "That being said, I've got to continue to better myself everyday." 

Wilkins can't be complacent, though, as redshirt sophomore quarterback Blake Barnett is nipping at his heels. The two split reps with the first team on Tuesday's practice, and he's already gained a bevy of knowledge since spring practice.

"With time and with practice I've gotten a lot more comfortable," Barnett said. "Just being new to places, it's kind of like a shock at first because you don't really know what to expect, but once you kind of have your feet settled in and going through the practices, getting to know everyone you get a lot more comfortable."

Whoever ends up with the job will have help with the skill positions at his disposal. Senior running backs DeMario Richard and Kalen Ballage have a chance to be a deadly tandem out of the backfield, while sophomore wide receiver N'Keal Harry should only improve after a highlight-reel season in 2016. Redshirt junior wide receiver Jalen Harvey and redshirt sophomore transfers Ryan Newsome and John Humphrey should all also be contributors on the perimeter. 

Sticking with the offense, tight ends Jay Jay Wilson and Tommy Hudson have shown promise, and a more experienced offensive line should only help matters.

While the defense is coming off a poor season, defenders like linebackers Koron Crump, DJ Calhoun and Christian Sam, and junior defensive lineman JoJo Wicker are players that could help the Sun Devils steadily improve.

The biggest area of concern is the defensive backfield, after another year of allowing the most passing yards per game in the FBS. Departures from starting defensive backs Armand Perry and Kareem Orr can't be helpful, either. But right now, ASU head coach Todd Graham is happy with what he sees.

"I spent a lot of time with that group, just watching them and evaluating that whole bunch and I was really pleased with the talent level of the secondary, really pleased," Graham said.

Of course, the secondary has to hold up, or it could cost Graham his job.

After two seasons of sub-.500 play, the pressure is on for the Sun Devils to start racking up wins.

Graham is entering his sixth season at the helm, and this season could be make-or-break for him. With a grim season outlook from Athlon Sports, Graham accepted the reality of needing to live up to expectations.

"You know what, you have to perform," Graham said. "That's what I signed up for and I don't have a problem with that one bit."

Practice Notes:

These are observations from the first day, but remember it's still early on.

First team offense 

QB: Manny Wilkins

RB: DeMario Richard / Kalen Ballage 

WR: N'Keal Harry, John Humphrey, Jalen Harvey

TE: Tommy Hudson

OL: Cohl Cabral (LT), Sam Jones (LT), A.J. McCollum (C), Steve Miller (RG), Quinn Bailey (RT)

First team defense

DL: JoJo Wicker, George Lea, Tashon Smallwood

LB: Koron Crump, DJ Calhoun, Christian Sam, J'Marcus Rhodes

DB: Chase Lucas, Chad Adams, Dasmond Tautalatasi, Joseph Bryant

*Defensive backs Adams, Tautalatasi, and Bryant were identified by Doug Haller of azcentral.com

Brady White, Jalen Bates and Trelon Smith were in green non-contact jerseys 

Marshall Nathe and Ryan Jenkins did not participate in practice, although Jenkins did participate in some sprints.

The media was given approximately 15 minutes to view practice and drills.

Reach the reporter at mpharri7@asu.edu or follow @Harris_Mark7 on Twitter.

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepressport on Twitter.

×