Police investigating death of homeless man found on campus

Foul play is not suspected, police say

ASU police are investigating the death of a homeless man who was found unresponsive on a campus parking lot early Monday morning, but don’t suspect foul play was a factor, according to a University spokesperson. 

“The decedent, who is unaffiliated with the university, is believed to be in his 40s or 50s and is described as being a transient,” read part of a University statement. “There are no signs of trauma or foul play.” 

Fire department personnel pronounced the man — who has not been identified yet — dead on arrival in parking lot No. 55, after a call came into dispatch at 5:43 a.m. Monday morning, according to the spokesperson. The lot is on the eastern edge of ASU's Tempe campus. 

Police have not said how the man was found or who called 911.

Part of the parking lot was closed off Monday morning due to the ongoing investigation, but all University buildings in the area remained open, according to ASU police officers on the scene.

The ASU police department is leading the investigation because the incident happened on University property. 

The lot reopened midday Monday. 

Editor's note: A previous version of this story contained an image that did not reflect The State Press' standards. It has been updated with a photograph that aligns more closely with the organization's journalistic practices.

Reach the reporter at reillykneedler@gmail.com  or follow @reillykneedler on Twitter.Like State Press on Facebook and follow @statepresss on Twitter.

Get the best of State Press delivered straight to your inbox.