ASU soccer loses home opener in overtime

The Sun Devils' loss was witnessed by a crowd of 1,070 at Sun Devil Stadium

ASU sophomore forward Natalie Stephens goes for a ball in the midfield during a 2-0 win over Cal State Fullerton in Sun Devil Soccer Stadium in Tempe, Arizona, on Friday, Sept. 16, 2016.

The ASU women's soccer team lost its home opener 2-1 against Ohio State University in an overtime thriller.

In the 98th minute, OSU's sophomore forward Meghan Kammerdeiner received a through ball and slotted the golden goal past senior goalkeeper Megan Delaney.

While the Sun Devils had a rough start to the match, the team's head coach Graham Winkworth made tactical changes and the team responded positively. ASU started to sustain longer periods of possession along with dangerous scoring opportunities.

"We changed up things tactically halfway through the first half and that suited us a little bit more because of their high back line," Winkworth said.

In Winkworth's first game as head coach, he was pleased in the performance his team displayed against the Buckeyes — last year's 27th nationally ranked team.

"I thought the game was a pretty 50-50 game, but we just lacked that little bit of quality," Winkworth said.

Winkworth added he was pleased with the bench's performance.

"I thought a lot people gave us good minutes from the bench, and I was proud of that." Winkworth said. "Its new for me to work in 106 degrees, so I really tried to rotate the players and I thought we did a decent job at that."

The only ASU goal came from freshman forward Olive Jones in the 31st minute. She scored her first collegiate goal off a corner kick, heading the ball into the top frame.

ASU's next match will be at home against Beijing Normal University Sunday at 11:00 a.m. MST.

Reach the reporter at jaramo12@asu.edu or follow @hor_hay10 on Twitter.

×