ASU women's soccer ends in a tie against No. 11 Cal Berkeley

ASU women's soccer earn a much needed draw on the road

CJ_09222017-11.jpg

ASU senior defender Madison Stark (22) kicks the ball in a game against Oregon State on Friday, Sept. 22, 2017 at the Sun Devil Soccer Stadium in Tempe, Arizona.

After 110 minutes of play ASU women's soccer (4-4-2, 1-0-1 Pac-12) battled the Cal Golden Bears (8-1-1, 1-0-1 Pac-12) to a 1-1 draw.

Cal sophomore forward Abi Kim scored first in the 48th minute and ASU captain and senior defender Madison Stark scored in 70th minute with a goal of her own.

This was ASU women's soccer's fifth overtime game and its second overtime game lasting two full periods this season, yet there was still not enough time to find a winner. 

The Golden Bears were aggressive offensively from the start with a total of 23 shots compared to 10 for ASU. However, Cal lacked efficiency as they managed only seven shots on target. 

ASU was stingy on defense, and freshman goalkeeper Nikki Panas had another fantastic performance with six saves.

The Sun Devils and Golden Bears remained scoreless after 45 minutes of play, with Cal having the only real scoring opportunity of the half when Kim missed wide on an open net after beating Panas 1v1.

Kim was aggressive all game, and it did not take long for her to break the deadlock with her fifth goal of the season in the 48th minute. The goal came from a pass over top from Cal senior defender Haley Lukas that left Kim with the just the keeper to beat. 

Despite the goal, the Sun Devils kept Cal's most potent attacking threat quiet and frustrated as Kim was only able to get two of her seven attempts on frame.

Stark scored the equalizer for the Sun Devils in the 70th minute with her first goal of the season on a bouncing ball in the box.

ASU women's soccer is already off to a positive start to the 2017-18 Pac-12 season by matching their win and tie total from last year.

Sun Devil Soccer will stay in the Bay Area to take on No. 2 Stanford on October 1 at 1 p.m. MST.

Reach the reporter at jaramo12@asu.edu or follow @hor_hay10 on Twitter.  

×