ASU women's soccer prepares to take on Pac-12 conference

With a new coach and a new style, ASU women's soccer is looking for different results

asu_soccer.jpg

The ASU women's soccer team stands for the national anthem before a 2-0 loss to the USC Trojans in Sun Devil Soccer Stadium in Tempe, Arizona, on Saturday, Oct. 15, 2016.

Last season, the ASU women’s soccer program had a less than stellar performance in the Pac-12 with a 1-9-1 record, 21 goals conceded and a goal differential of -15. 

However, the mentality of new ASU head coach Graham Winkworth and his team as they enter Pac-12 play is anything but negative. 

“We are first looking for the team to understand that anything is possible,” Winkworth said after practice on Wednesday. 

The Pac-12 has some of the most elite talent in Division I women’s soccer with the likes of UCLA, Stanford and USC who are consistently ranked in the top 10 for the NCAA's Top-25 Poll with several U.S. national team players spread throughout the conference.

Despite the plethora of talent in the Pac-12, Winkworth explained that some of the new faces like junior left back Jemma Purfield and freshman forward Olive Jones are more than capable of playing against the quality opponents they will face in the Pac-12.

“Jemma, even though she came from the Sun Belt (conference) last season, she played against Florida State, she played against Auburn twice, Mississippi State, Ole Miss — so she’s played against some of the power sides,” Winkworth said. 

He continued on to say Jones, who as a freshman never played collegiate soccer let alone in the Pac-12 prior to this season, is ready for it because she has been the most exposed to the conference by being a long-time Sun Devil soccer fan growing up. 

“Olive has never played in the Pac-12, but probably has had more experience with the Pac-12 because she’s been a big Sun Devil fan for many, many years," Winkworth said. "She has seen what the level is going to be like."

However, the biggest unknown for ASU is the inconsistent offense. Some of the doubts stem from ASU’s inability to consistently score, which brings up a tactical question of how many strikers should start each game.

Senior forward Jazmarie Mader said that she preferred playing with another forward alongside her. 

“The more the merrier up top, I like having two-front or three-front,” Mader said. “I like the dynamic we have together, running off of each other and playing through balls for each other, and not so much holding it up.”

Winkworth’s possession style was evident during the first eight games, but the question becomes whether or not the Sun Devils will be able to possess the ball for sustained periods against talented Pac-12 teams, like they did against Weber State University.

Winkworth explained that the team will have to to give up possession in certain games, but that will not deter him and his team from continuing to seek a possession-oriented game.

“It might not be 10 passes before (sophomore defensive midfielder) Devyn Kelsey shoots it into the top corner like it was on Sunday, because the quality of the opponent might not allow that,” Winkworth said. “But it’s important that when we win possession of the ball from our opponents, that our first and hopefully our second pass is to someone in the same color jersey as ourselves."

One thing that has significantly improved from last season is the defense, at least in non-conference games. Over the course of eight non-conference games, ASU has a 1.12 goals against average. 

The success defensively is a result of an improved back four and superb play from freshman keeper Nikki Panas. Panas said the key to their defensive success has been the communication and trust between her and the back four.

“Communication is key between the back four and the mids on holding their spacing,” Panas said. “Whatever happens, I always have their back. They always have mine.”

Only time will tell how the new system will hold up in the rigors of Pac-12 competition. ASU prepares to take on Oregon State University Sept. 22 in their Pac-12 opener.

Reach the reporter at jaramo12@asu.edu or follow @hor_hay10 on Twitter.  

×