Are you taking advantage of student discounts near campus?

Discounts around Tempe allow students to go out without hurting the bank.

asu_gammage.jpeg

The ASU Gammage Student Rush program lets students purchase two tickets to select Broadway productions on the day-of-show for 50 percent off with a student ID. Photo courtesy of Tim Trumble.

Many first-year students living on campus may not be aware of the discounts that they can find at retailers and restaurants within walking, biking or driving distance.

Students often find themselves needing to balance many things during their studies, including a budget. The cost of education can leave students feeling limited when it comes to going out. 

But through student discounts, ASU and other businesses around Tempe have sought to make it easier for students to get out while also bolstering local commerce. 

One way the University provides students with discount opportunities is through the ASU Gammage Student Rush program. This program lets students purchase two tickets to select Broadway productions on the day-of-show for half off when they present their student ID. 

Kari Amarosso, the public relations manager for ASU Gammage, said this program allows students to experience something unique.

"You should always strive to do something special and something that kind of engages and makes you kind of think differently or see something you’re not used to seeing," Amarosso said.

Kaitlin Carter, an ASU junior majoring in paleontology, said living expenses can force students to choose between paying bills and taking advantage of the Valley's entertainment. 

“If you’re interested in that, it makes it more affordable for you to do that instead of sitting there going 'okay, well how do I afford to do this but also X, Y and Z over here,'” Carter said. 

ASU Business and Finance has a goods and services page that contains over 90 discounts that are available locally and online from places such as the Arizona Humane Society Tempe Thrift Store, Canon Online Store and The Parking Spot

Students looking for a break from their studies can head to Tempe Marketplace, which has a website that lists out discounts from its more than 30 retail, entertainment and dining options. 

Tempe Marketplace also has live music on Fridays and Saturdays and a full calendar of events that they welcome the community to come enjoy, free-of-charge.

Harkins Theatres also offers student discounts on the price of admission.

Not all students see discounts as something that will open doors to new experiences. Jamal Clayton, a junior majoring in social work, said the discount won't help if students aren't interested in the activity.

“If you already have an interest in the activity it’s great," Clayton said. "I think the discount can promote overspending for students but the opportunity for discounted activities is a plus.”

Reach the reporter at jlneff1@asu.edu or follow @jennaleeneff on Twitter. 

×