The truth about modern day feminists

The movement may be far from over, but we must consider why feminism is important, and why society should discredit stereotypes.

womenempowerment.png
"Women should support each other and embrace each others' differences." Illustration published on Wednesday, Sept. 6, 2017.

Women have been fighting for basic human rights and respect from society for decades.

As women have been progressively moving up the social ladder, we are finally beginning to see the feminist movement paying off. We are approaching a time where women are achieving our goal as equal and active members in today’s society.

Although the movement is far from over, we must consider why this movement is important, and why society should discredit stereotypes about feminists. 

We see this movement in all ages of men and women, but this new wave of feminists are young adults entering college. Feminism can be exceptionally empowering for college students choosing their career paths, without inequality standing in their way. 

This fourth wave of feminists, an age of women and men supporting the movement that is currently focused on problems of the public — such as rape culture, slut-shaming, the idealistic body type women are expected to conform to and society de-sexualizing the female body.

Because feminists are viewed as pushy and even argumentative — people are sometimes apprehensive about labeling themselves as “feminist," as it often carries a negative connotation.

However, feminists who are deeply involved in the Women’s Movement love how much power the label has. They feel women have been silenced and not taken seriously for long enough. These feminists need a way to get the communities attention as a whole — and have society listen to what they have to say. 

I wear (the feminist label) proudly, I advertise it, I am 100 percent a feminist and I say that, ASU's I Am That Girl chapter leader Kaitlyn Chapman said. "A lot of people that aren’t feminist look at it like by giving women these rights and these opportunities we are trying to push women above men but what they don't understand is we are just trying to get women to be equal to men.”

I Am That Girl is a female empowerment organization helping “girls to transform self-doubt in to self-love by providing a safe space to connect and have honest conversations about things that matter.” 

The movement could expand and become much more influential if the people stereotyping feminist's became educated on what the movement stood for. 

Feminism focuses on equality. It does not mean women should be given more privilege or respect than men. It seeks to create completely equal societal expectations and treatment. 

I think it goes back to the definition of feminism as someone who champions equal rights for all people regardless of gender, race, sexuality, education, income, whatever,  Chapman said.  "It’s somebody who not only believes, but is actively working towards a world where everybody is equal.”

Being a feminist is not centered around not shaving or being angry. People do not join the movement to be trendy. It is passionate, and some members of society are making fun of that passion.

College students take up a majority of the fourth-wave population, but are also the ones perpetuating the stereotype. As people continue to stereotype feminists, it is taking away from the importance of the movement. 

Being a feminist is supposed to inform the public of what the natural rights of women should be, and to stop the oppression of women everywhere. Feminists are not to to be laughed at, they should be respected and heard. 

Reach the columnist at awarshaw@asu.edu or follow @abbey_warshaw on Twitter.

Editor’s note: The opinions presented in this column are the author’s and do not imply any endorsement from The State Press or its editors.Want to join the conversation? 

Send an email to opiniondesk.statepress@gmail.com. Keep letters under 500 words and be sure to include your university affiliation. Anonymity will not be granted.

×