ASU men's golf wins Maui Jim Invitational

Alex del Rey won his first individual title as a Sun Devil on Sunday

The No. 21 ASU men's golf team finished first in the Maui Jim Invitational in Carefree, Arizona on Sunday with a 7-under par on the scorecard.

In the team's first tournament in Arizona this season, sophomore Alex del Rey picked up his first win and individual trophy as a Sun Devil.

Head coach Matt Thurmond said the Desert Forest Golf Club is very difficult and demanding – the course sits as a double bogey nightmare for golfers.

“For Alex to shoot a bogey-free 65 in a final round like that is beyond impressive,” Thurmond said.

Del Rey was in contention all three days with 13 birdies and two eagles. He continued his top-5 finish in Minnesota to a tournament win for the Sun Devils and for himself. 

Del Rey finished 10-under par as he battled senior Dawson Armstrong (Lipscomb University) and freshman Angus Flanagan (University of Minnesota) Sunday. 

Other Sun Devils to finish in the top half of the leaderboard were freshman Mason Andersen, who finished tied for sixth with a 3-under par, and sophomore Blake Wagoner finishing tied for 22nd shooting 4-over par. 

Thurmond said everyone showed promise with their performance on Sunday. 

“Our -11 score (Sunday) is far better than I would have expected,” Thurmond said. “This was a really fun win and a great validation for our team and what we are trying to become.”

Nine of the 10 Sun Devils on the team competed in the tournament at Desert Forest Golf Club. Their performances all three days pushed the team to a nail-biting victory over Georgia Tech and Kent State. 

The Sun Devils finished with a team total of 857, Georgia Tech with a score of 858 and Kent State at 859, while the defending Maui Jim Invitational champions Louisiana State University finished fourth with a team total of 862.

The Sun Devils will have some time off before their next tournament at the Paintbrush Intercollegiate in Colorado on Oct. 9-10.

Reach the reporter at sbemanue@asu.edu or follow @SebastianEman24 on Twitter. 

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepresssport on Twitter. 

Get the best of State Press delivered straight to your inbox.