Past and present Sun Devils compete at World University Games

Two alumni and two newcomers of the Arizona State swim and dive program traveled to Taipei Taiwan to compete in the 2017 Summer World University Games.

38451_womens_blocks_wilkersonf.JPG

The ASU swim and dive team competes against Stanford at the Mona Plummer Aquatic Complex on the Tempe campus on Friday, Jan. 20, 2017.

Two alumni and two newcomers of the Arizona State swim and dive program traveled to Taipei, Taiwan to compete in the 2017 Summer World University Games. 

The games took place from Aug. 19 to Aug. 30 and featured a total of 22 sports. 

ASU 2017 alumna Anna Olasz represented Hungary and won gold in the open water 10K, swimming the distance in 2:04:12.2. Olasz also competed in the 2016 Olympics.

Tadas Duskinas, another swimmer who graduated last year, swam for the Lithuanian 4x100 medley relay team that placed seventh. 

“It was a good experience for them,” head coach Bob Bowman said. “You know for Fanny and Tad they did okay, it was a good chance for them to help us out internationally and I think Fanny is going to do some really good things here, we are excited about her.”

Fanny Teijonsalo is an incoming transfer from Florida Gulf Coast University.

“My time at Florida was really good. We had a good group of girls on the women's team and the reason I transferred is we went through a coaching change," Teijonsalo said. "A lot about the program changed at that point. So I wanted something new.”

At the World University Games she swam as a member of Finland's 4x100 free relay team that placed 15th. Individually, Teijonsalo competed in the 50 and 100-meter fly, back, and free.  

“It was really fun, It was really cool to have athletes from all different sports from all around the world and to see some world class performers too," Teijonsalo said. "It was great to compete against them.” 

Ashley McCool an incoming freshman diver from Canada competed in the 1-meter and 3-meter dive. Despite being the youngest competitor in both events McCool advanced to finals and finished 5th in the 3-meter springboard.

“It's a good experience being a part of a multi-sport game so you get to see everybody," McCool said. "It's a really big competition they say it's second to the Olympics."

McCool trained all offseason in Canada with her coach Charlie Tu, a former diver for the Chinese men's national team.

From Taiwan to Tempe, these two newcomers are now training as Sun Devils.

“I just kinda started, the training intensity is a lot higher. The school is bigger, so that is a change and meeting everybody obviously takes time,” Teijonsalo said. “I’m excited just getting back at it and seeing how we do it here, just seeing where the team could take the program.”

Taipei included a great showing of Sun Devil athletes and alums. With these two international athletes arriving to Tempe attention is now turned toward the upcoming season and the program's future. 

“It's my freshman year so I just want to get settled and work with my new Coach. I’m super excited to join my new team,” McCool said.

Reach the reporter at nsheehy@asu.edu or follow @nsheehy_nick on Twitter.

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepresssport on Twitter.  

×