ASU soccer's senior day ends with win over Huskies

An emotional senior day led to ASU women's soccer finishing on top.

Golf_16.JPG

ASU sophomore forward Christina Edwards (2) kicks the ball in the Sun Devils' 1-0 win against the University of Washington at Sun Devil Soccer Stadium in Tempe, Arizona on Oct. 29, 2017.

A wonder strike from ASU sophomore forward Christina Edwards was enough to send the Sun Devil's (5-10-3, 2-6-2 Pac-12)  seniors off right with a 1-0 victory in their final home game over the University of Washington (9-8-2, 2-6-2 Pac-12).

ASU senior Aly Moon, who because of a head injury was unable to compete this year, had an especially emotional moment on Sunday when she was surprised by her brother Derek Moon who is currently serving with the U.S. Marine Corps in Japan.

"There's not even words for it. I was so surprised and happy to have him back," Modd said. "It has been a year and half seen I seen him last. It was amazing turning around and actually physically getting to see him and hug him, it was the best feeling ever."

Derek Moon had been planning this emotional moment with ASU head coach Graham Winkworth months before the season. 

"When the schedule came out I contacted coach Winkworth and I asked if we could work something out for the senior game," Derek said.  

After an emotional pre-game ceremony, both ASU and the University of Washington were evenly matched throughout this match.

The Sun Devils out shot the Huskies 11 to 10 and forced Washington redshirt senior goal keeper Sarah Shimer into four saves.

ASU women's soccer ended their winless streak and surpassed their win total in the Pac-12 from last season. 

"It was a good all-around both offensive and defensive performance," Winkworth said. 

Sun Devil soccer looked dangerous in a 3-4-3 system against the huskies as both ASU senior forward Jazmarie Mader and senior midfielder Jessica Raybe missed clear opportunities to give ASU the lead. 

In the 73rd minute of play, Edwards, with a left footed strike from about 25 yards out, hit the top corner leaving Shimer with no chance in making the save.

Edwards explained she just took a chance on goal, something that Winkworth has preached to the team all year.

"Coach (Winkworth) always talks about being brave and taking shots," Edwards said. "... Honestly not a lot was going through my head ... I'm glad I can do it for the seniors." 

ASU women's soccer will travel to Tucson and play in-state rival University of Arizona in the season finale on Nov. 2 at 7 p.m. MST.

Reach the reporter at jaramo12@asu.edu or follow @hor_hay10 on Twitter.  

×