ASU women's golf finishes third in the Betsy Rawls Longhorn Invite

Olivia Mehaffey placed in the top six in back-to-back tournaments

golf.jpg

Then-freshman Linnea Strom chips her ball out of the rough on the fifth hole Friday, April 8, 2016 during the 2016 Ping ASU Invitational at Karsten Golf Course in Tempe, Arizona.

The No.3 ASU women’s golf team finished third in the Betsy Rawls Longhorn Invite in Austin, Texas on Tuesday with a 18-over par on the scorecard over the three rounds.

The Sun Devils finished the tournament shooting 882 (+18) as a team.

"We are a little tired from playing back to back weeks," head coach Missy Farr-Kaye said. "We have a 10 day break before we leave for Hawaii which will be good for us."

In the team's third tournament of the fall season, sophomore Olivia Mehaffey posted her second consecutive top six performance and her seventh top 10 finish as a Sun Devil. 

Farr-Kaye said the bright spots were junior Linnea Strom and Mehaffey finishing top 10.

Mehaffey shot +2 (218) overall, finishing tied for sixth and Strom finished tied for 10th (+3).

"We struggled today with the cold and windy conditions," Farr-Kaye said.

The Sun Devils shot a one-under performance after 36 holes. ASU was sitting in second, as No.19 Texas shoot eight-under entering the final 18 holes. 

All six of the Sun Devils delivered a great 18-hole performance over the course of the tournament. Senior Sophia Zeeb, who was an individual, finished tied for 12th (+4), junior Madison Kerley finished tied for 24th (+7), senior Roberta Liti finished tied for 39th (+12), and freshman Raquel Olmos Ros finished tied for 71st (+22).

The Sun Devils will have two weeks off before their next tournament at the PAC-12 Preview played at the Nanea Golf Club in Kailua Kona, HI on Oct. 23-24. 

*Rankings were obtained from thesundevils.com

Reach the reporter at sbemanue@asu.edu or follow @SebastianEman24 on Twitter. 

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepresssport on Twitter. 

×