ASU women's soccer was unable to stop Stanford's high-powered offense

The Cardinal's offensive prowess was too much for ASU

CJ_092217-20.jpg
The ASU women's soccer team runs upfield in a game against Oregon State on Friday, Sept. 22, 2017 at the Sun Devil Soccer Stadium in Tempe, Arizona.

No. 2 Stanford (10-1, 3-0 Pac-12) extended their consecutive win streak to eight games as they defeated the Sun Devils (4-5-2, 1-1-1 Pac-12) 6-0.

Three goals within the first 20 minutes put this match away early, and the Cardinal put on an offensive clinic throughout the full 90 minutes. Stanford entered the match with a four goal per-game average, along with a 25 shot per-game average. 

Stanford junior midfielder Michelle Xiao led the way with two goals and and assist while junior midfielder Jordan DiBiasi secured a goal and two assists for Stanford.

Cardinal redshirt junior forward Kyra Carusa scored her only goal of the game from the penalty spot and added an assist. Goals from freshman forward Catarina Macario and redshirt junior forward Mariah Lee capped off the offensive onslaught for the Cardinal. 

ASU only recorded one shot all game which came with less than three minutes remaining in the second half. It was a busy afternoon for freshman goalkeeper Nikki Panas with eight saves, the most in her young collegiate career. 

Stanford finished the match with a total of 30 shots and 13 on target and maintained possession for most of the match. This is only the third highest margin of victory this season for the Cardinal.

Stanford clearly dominated this match from start to finish without any sign of letting up. 

Stanford showcased patience and possession throughout the entirety of the game. In the ninth minute, Xiao, after a string of sustained possession, had enough time to pick up her head and put in a low cross to a wide-open DiBiasi on the far post for the second goal of the match.

In the second half, a Cardinal free kick from 23 yards out hit the bottom left post and fell to the feet of Xiao, who easily put it away from six yards for her third goal of the season. She would add her fourth just five minutes later.

A turnover from the Sun Devils in their defensive third led to Lee curling her shot into the bottom left corner past the out-stretched arm of Panas for the final goal of the match.

ASU will return home to take on No. 1 UCLA on Oct. 5 in Tempe at 7 p.m. MST.

Reach the reporter at jaramo12@asu.edu or follow @hor_hay10 on Twitter.  

×