ASU women's golf team finishes sixth in Pac-12 Preview

Sophomore Olivia Mehaffey has her third consecutive top-15 finish of the fall season

Sophia Zeeb, Women's Golf, 04-10-2015

Then-freshman Sophia Zeeb tees off on hole five on Friday, April 10, 2015 at Karsten Golf Course in Tempe, AZ.

The No.4 ASU women’s golf team finished sixth in the Nanea Pac-12 Preview in Kailua Kona, Hawaii on Tuesday with a 15-over par for 36 holes on the scorecard.

The Sun Devils finished the tournament shooting 599 (+15) as a team. The final round of the tournament was delayed and eventually cancelled due to rain and lighting in the area. 

The Sun Devils athletic page states that USC competed as individuals and all the teams below the Top-2 on team scores moved up one spot. 

Sophomore Olivia Mehaffey finished tied for 11th, shooting one-over par (147) in only 36 holes. This is Mehaffey’s third consecutive top-15 performance.

"We didn't put forth our best effort this morning," head coach Missy Farr-Kaye said in an interview with Sun Devil Athletics. "We looked a little flat and tentative, which is unusual for us. I felt our entire lineup did a much better job in the afternoon round. We're looking forward to the opportunity to compete tomorrow with a solid game plan and resilience." 

Senior Sophia Zeeb made her first appearance apart of the team’s scoring, finishing tied for 20th (+3).

Freshman Raquel Olmos Ros finished tied for 26th (+4), and junior Madison Kerley and senior Roberta Liti finished tied for 41st (+8) over the 36 holes finished. 

Excluding the ASU women’s golf team, six of the Pac-12 teams are ranked among the top 40 teams in the nation, including UCLA (2), Stanford (7), Colorado (11), USC (12), Washington (26) and Arizona (39).

The Sun Devils will have be competing one more time this fall season as they head to Atlanta, Georgia for the East Lake Cup Oct. 30-Nov. 1. ASU will compete as the NCAA Champions when they face runners-up Northwestern, Stanford and USC. All teams placed in the top four of the NCAA Tournament in May of last season. 

Reach the reporter at sbemanue@asu.edu or follow @SebastianEman24 on Twitter. 

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepresssport on Twitter. 

×