Losing streak continues for ASU soccer in Oregon loss

ASU's losing streak extends to four games after Oregon defeat

IMG_5316.jpg

ASU senior forward Jessica Raybe (9) attempts to steal the ball from UCLA freshman forward Ashley Sanchez (2) in a game against UCLA at Sun Devil Soccer Stadium in Tempe, Arizona on Thursday, Oct. 5, 2017. ASU lost 3-0.

The Oregon Ducks (7-7, 1-5 Pac-12) ended their five-game losing streak and earned their first win in Pac-12 play by defeating the ASU women's soccer team 2-0 on Friday night. 

A brace from Oregon junior forward Marissa Everett and a pair of assists for junior forward Bayley Bruner led the way to the Ducks' first conference win. Oregon senior forward Miranda Schulz posted her first goal of the season.

But while Oregon ended its slide, the Sun Devils' (4-8-2, 1-4-1 Pac-12) winless streak continued, now stretching to four games.

Oregon dominated this match from start to finish as they outshot ASU 23 to 11. ASU senior keeper Megan Delaney once again started in place of freshman keeper Nikki Panas, and made eight saves on the night. Freshman forward Olive Jones played in the back four in the absence of junior center back Angela Boyle, who was sent off in the previous match against USC.

The Ducks were efficient and relentless in their attack as 11 of their 23 shots were on target. 

The Sun Devils were unable to find any offensive rhythm, ceding frequent possession to Oregon, which made near-constant shots on goal.

The Ducks wasted no time and scored in the third minute of play. Oregon junior forward Bayley Bruner dispossessed ASU right back Madison Stark in the defensive third, then capitalized on the turnover and played the ball square across the goal to Everette, who finished it from 4 yards out. 

Oregon doubled their lead in the 26th minute of play when Bruner once again drove the ball across the net to an open Everette in the 6-yard box, who had an easy tap in. 

Schulz finally put the game out of reach for the Sun Devils in the 74th minute when she recovered the ball inside the ASU box and finished low and to the near post past Delaney.

ASU looks to end its four game losing streak as they continue on the road against Colorado Oct. 19 at 2 p.m. MST. 

Reach the reporter at jaramo12@asu.edu or follow @hor_hay10 on Twitter.  

×