ASU police: Suspicious package X-rayed, not a threat to public

The package was reported near Sun Devil Stadium on Friday

police.jpg

An ASU police cruiser turns from Mill Avenue onto Fifth Street in Tempe, Arizona, on Oct. 19, 2014.

The ASU Police Department determined a suspicious package reported near Sun Devil Stadium Friday morning was not a threat to the public.

The department said in a statement the evening of Nov. 28 that the package, a brown leather suitcase, was investigated by the Tempe Police Department's bomb squad. 

"A brown leather suitcase was found in the North Parking lot, 500 E. Veteran's Way, adjacent to Sun Devil Stadium," according to the statement. "During the investigation, the Tempe Police Department’s Bomb Squad X-rayed the briefcase and determined no threat to the public."

The briefcase was reported at 11:11 a.m. Nov. 24, according to ASU police spokesperson Katy Harris. 

ASU sent out an email and Twitter alert to students soon after, advising them to stay clear of the area. 

The department then sent a follow-up alert to students at 2:13 p.m. Friday saying that the incident was cleared. 

Editor's note: This story will be updated as more information becomes available.

Reach the reporter at rkneedle@asu.edu  or follow @reillykneedler on Twitter.

Like State Press on Facebook and follow @statepresss on Twitter.

×