ASU men's basketball wins in preseason game against Arizona Christian

The Sun Devils tally 18 threes, 11 from guard Shannon Evans in their win over Arizona Christian University

DSC_8458.jpg

ASU senior guard Shannon Evans II (11) shoots a three-pointer in the first half of the Sun Devils' 115-69 win over ACU on Friday, Nov. 3, 2017 at Wells Fargo Arena in Tempe, Arizona.

Preseason games are typically used to explore game strategies and a different combination of lineups and rotations to refine the roster before the upcoming season. 

For an ASU men’s basketball, which returns four players from last year's team and welcomes five new players to their rotation, this preseason has helped in that regard, according to ASU head coach Bobby Hurley.

"We are trying to get better like all teams are – there's things we still have to improve on," Hurley said. "We are going to continue talking with our guys about rebounding, not giving up second chance points on multiple possessions. We still have several practices to get ready for opening night next Friday."

ASU senior guard Shannon Evans II scored 50 points, along with 11 three pointers, as he anchored the Sun Devils' 115-69 blowout exhibition win against Arizona Christian University Friday night in Tempe, AZ. 

He missed the previous exhibition game against the University of San Diego due to a stomach virus. Despite his hot hand, however, Evans did not want to get caught up in the moment and instead, wanted to get the rest of his teammates involved.

"At one point, everybody was just like, 'Shoot every time. We don't care. Shoot,' so I am glad I have guys in the locker room like that," Evans said. "I think one of my coaches whispered in my ear on the bench and was like, 'Go for 50,' and I just said, 'Okay, bet.'"

Aside from Evans' impressive outing, ASU freshman guard Remy Martin and freshman forward Kimani Lawrence left imprints of their own. Martin did so by putting up a stat line of 13 points, seven rebounds, eight assists and four steals. Lawrence added 18 points and five rebounds of his own.  

"He (Martin) brings a lot of energy," Evans said. "I am looking back and think 'I'm going to get a steal too,' so it just gets everybody going, and when he does that, he changes the game."

The Sun Devils finished the preseason 3-0 with wins against Northern State University, USD and ACU. They open their season at home on Friday, Nov. 10 versus Idaho State at 8 p.m. MST.

Reach the reporter at fcorral1@asu.edu or follow @felipecorraljr on Twitter.  

×