No. 3 ASU men's basketball dominates Pacific, 104-65

De'Quon Lake had a block party against Pacific, finishing the afternoon with seven

dcj-bballpacific-2.jpg

ASU junior forward De'Quon Lake (35) dunks the ball in the second half of the Sun Devil's 104-65 win against the Pacific Tigers at Wells Fargo Arena in Tempe, Arizona on Friday, Dec. 22, 2017.

The No. 3 Sun Devils finished their non-conference schedule and continued their win streak after beating Pacific (5-8) with ease, 104-65, on Friday afternoon.

“It was a great way for us to close out the non-conference and put an exclamation point on that and close that chapter,” ASU head coach Bobby Hurley said after the game. “It’s been a great run and ride so far, I thought the guys delivered a spectacular performance again today."

ASU remains undefeated, but face a tough road trip to start conference play, including the much-anticipated matchup against No. 18 Arizona at the McKale Center, followed by games at Colorado and Utah. 

ASU (12-0) took care of business in front of an exceptional crowd during an afternoon game days before Christmas to record its 12th win of the season. Senior guard Shannon Evans II led all scorers with 21 points, while senior guard Tra Holder continued his consistent offensive display by adding 19 points on 7-for-12 shooting.

With Christmas around the corner, however, it was junior forward De’Quon Lake who handed out blocks as presents. He finished the game with 12 points, nine rebounds and seven blocks. 

“The light really came on quickly for De’Quon (Lake),” Hurley said. “It really took him a while, some of it is learning the fundamentals of our offense and our defense.” 

Though ASU has struggled to start off games this season, that was not the case today as they put the game out of reach within the first 10 minutes. 

Seven straight baskets in a span of over six minutes highlighted the first half and set the tone for the Sun Devils, starting at the 11:22 mark with a Vitaliy Shibel dunk after he recovered a loose ball. Evans II made his third three of the game to put the Sun Devils up 38-16 and give them their seventh field goal of the span.

The second half was no different.

Freshman guard Remy Martin has embraced the spotlight and the role of getting the crowd into the game, as he did in the second half of the game. 

“I just do anything I can for this team to win,” Martin said. “Doesn’t matter if I score a point, doesn’t matter if I get an assist, all I want to do is win and whatever my team wants me to do and that is playing defense and getting the crowd going and changing momentum … that’s what I am going to do.”

The freshman guard pushed the ball up the court after a rebound, dribbled behind his back to gain separation and dropped off a no-look pass to sophomore forward Mickey Mitchell for the fast break layup to get the crowd on its feet and give ASU the 70-47 lead with 8:08 left to play.

His energy was felt throughout the arena and it is something his teammates and coach have repeatedly said they thrive off of. 

Up Next

The unbeaten Sun Devils travel to the McKale Center to play rival Arizona next week, something Hurley hopes both fan bases take part in.

“As a competitor there’s nothing more you want than to be in that building next Saturday,” Hurley said. “I hope everyone wants to go there. I hope every fan from Arizona and Arizona State is trying like heck to get in that building.”

Game Information

When: Dec. 30th, at 7pm MT

Where: McKale Center in Tucson, AZ

Watch: Pac-12 Network

Reach the reporter at fcorral1@asu.edu or follow @felipecorraljr on Twitter.  

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepresssport on Twitter

×