ASU thrower Maggie Ewen breaks school record in track and field season opener

ASU began its season at the NAU Friday Night Duals at Northern Arizona University

maggie.jpg

ASU's Maggie Ewen winds up in the second flight of the women's hammer throw during the first day of the 2016 Pac-12/Big Ten Invitational track meet at Sun Angel Stadium in Tempe, Arizona on Friday, March 25, 2016.

ASU track and field kicked off its indoor season at the NAU Friday Night Duals in Flagstaff on Friday. The meet featured ASU, Northern Arizona University, California State University San Marcos and Grand Canyon University. 

The Sun Devils had a strong outing at the Duals highlighted by a record performance from shot putter Maggie Ewen, as well as first place finishes in the hurdle and 800-meter events from Shaunie Morrison and Adam Meyer.

“I think our women’s team has a chance to make some noise at the national level,” Head Coach Greg Kraft said. “Obviously the big driver of that is Maggie Ewen.”

Field Events 

Redshirt senior Magdalyn Ewen had all eyes on her going into this meet, and she fiercely delivered. Ewen set a new personal record and a new school record for the women's indoor shot put, throwing for more than 60 feet and being marked at 18.44 meters. 

“It was one of those days where I was feeling good, and I was just trying to keep everything calm,” Ewen said. “Everything just came together.” 

Following Ewen in shot put was redshirt freshman Samantha Noennig, who finished with a mark of 16.66 meters.

The Sun Devils had four top-five finishers for men’s pole vault and three in the women’s pole vault. Freshman Cole Riddle cleared 17 feet, earning him a first place finish for the men. Senior Kristiana Warth finished in second place after clearing 12-6.25 for the women’s pole vault. 

Running Events 

For the women, senior Shaunie Morrison finished in first place in the 60 meter hurdles at 8.32. The Sun Devils finished in first place in the distance medley at 12:32.41; a 52 second gap between the next finishing team. 

The women’s 4x400m relay finished in second place at 3:51.02. 

For the men, freshman Adam Meyer finished in first place in the 800-meter with a time of 2:01.08. Freshman Marcus Howard had a second place finish in the 60-meter hurdles at 8.49 – a new personal best. 

In the mile run, ASU had two top-five finishers, redshirt sophomore Alexander Stevens — 4:35.99 and freshman Jackson Lewis— 4:37.22. 

“It was just an opportunity to get back on the track, it’s been a while for a lot of them,” assistant coach (distance) Jeremy Rasmussen said. “To come out and be able to just get a good effort in, that’s what we just tried to do today.”

FOR FULL MEET RESULTS:

http://live.wingfootfinish.com/180112FridayNightDuals/

The Sun Devils compete next in the Texas A&M Team Invitational in College Station, Texas on January 20. 

Reach the reporter at cncarte1@asu.edu or follow @CCydeni on Twitter.

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepressport on Twitter. 

×