ASU thrower earns two titles at track and field championship

ASU's track and field women placed eighth and the men placed eleventh in the MPSF Indoor Championships

_MG_5698.jpg

ASU redshirt senior thrower Magdalyn Ewen practices throwing shot put at the Sun Angel Stadium in Tempe, Arizona, on Tuesday, Feb. 13, 2018.

ASU track and field traveled to Seattle to compete in the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation Indoor Championships on Friday and Saturday.

The Sun Devil women finished in eighth place with 35 points and the men finished in eleventh with 22 points. 

Redshirt senior thrower Magdalyn Ewen earned herself two titles this weekend, one in the women’s weight throw and another in the shot put. 

Ewen won her third-straight women’s indoor weight throw title and her first indoor shot put title. 

“We've never had a student-athlete in that event that has been as consistently as excellent as she has been,” head coach Greg Kraft said. “We couldn't be more proud of her and what she's accomplished.”

DAY ONE:

Although Ewen did not perform to her best ability, she still secured herself in first place of the women’s weight throw at 21.72m/ 71-03.25ft. Throwing 1-09.25ft under her personal best of 22.26m/73-0.50ft.

Redshirt sophomore Kaylee Antill got herself into the top eight, scoring one point for the Sun Devils with a throw of 18.81m/61-08.50ft.

The men’s pole vault also had great results, scoring 18 points. Freshman Cole Riddle and freshman Michael Chadwick both placed third with a vault of 5.20m/17-0.75ft. 

In fifth place was redshirt senior Nathan Hiett with a vault of 5.10m/16-08.75ft. Redshirt junior Matthew Eckles finished in sixth place with an identical result.

In the women’s long jump, junior Jessica Barreira finished in sixth place with a mark of 5.84m/19-02ft. 

In the 5k run, redshirt sophomore Samantha Ortega finished just outside of scoring with a ninth place finish of 16:51.33.

DAY TWO:

Ewen earned herself a first place finish in the women’s shot put with a throw of 18.98m/62-3.25ft. Redshirt freshman Samantha Noennig was not far behind Ewen with a fifth place throw of 16.14m/52-11.50ft. 

Sun Devil senior sprinter Shaunie Morrison sped her way to fifth place of the women’s 60 meter hurdles with a time of 8.32 seconds. 

In the men’s high jump competition, sophomore Elijah Hughes finished in sixth place with a jump of 2.10m/6-10.75ft. Senior Mason Ford placed ninth with a jump of 2.05m/6-08.75ft. 

Barreira and senior Darreyl Woodson scored in the women's triple jump. Barreira finished in seventh place of the women’s triple jump with a bound of 12.12m/39-09.25ft. Immediately behind her was Woodson in eighth with a jump of 11.97m/39-03.25ft. 

The men’s 4x400 meter relay team also scored for the Sun Devils with an eighth place finish at 3:17.27. 

FOR FULL RESULTS:

Check out the full results here.

The Sun Devils compete next in the NCAA Indoor Championships in College Station, Texas on March 9-10. 

Reach the reporter at cncarte1@asu.edu or follow @CCydeni on Twitter.

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepressport on Twitter. 

×