Research Roundup and the week in science and technology

An update from ASU's recent research developments, and a recap of last week's content

State Press Roundup 2.jpg

Illustration published on Monday, Feb. 19, 2018.     

In recent ASU research news:

Evolution and religious conflicts

Jasmine Truong, Liz Barnes, and Sara Brownell published a study in the journal American Biology Teacher, finding that a six-minute presentation on the compatibility of evolution and religion reduced the perceptions of eight out of 10 undergraduate students in the study. The study expanded on previous research by limiting the time of presentation to six minutes.

Nanorobots help shrink tumors 

ASU researchers partnered with the National Center for Nanoscience and Technology of the Chinese Academy of Sciences to develop autonomous nanorobots that shrink tumors by cutting off their blood supply. The scientists think the technology can be used to treat many types of cancer.

Asexual fish

A new study that includes ASU professors found that the Amazon molly, an all-female fish species that live along the Mexico-Texas border, are thriving due to a perfectly unique genetic makeup, unlike most asexual creatures that are at a disadvantage. 

Last week, from the Science and Tech desk: 

ASU scientists examine Mars using imaging filters

"An ASU aerospace team is testing optical equipment on Mars." Illustration published on Thursday, Feb. 15, 2018.

Relevant quote: "ASU is a big part of operating the rover, more in terms of the Mastcam team. We do a lot of calibrating the data and helping pick targets for what we want to take images of." – Samantha Jacob, graduate research assistant in the School Of Earth and Space Exploration.

ASU-based startup brings language learning to life

"Learning a new language doesn't have to be a pain." Illustration published on Thursday, Feb. 15, 2018.

Relevant quote: "You have a lot less catching up to do to be a proficient speaker at 3 years old than you do at 30 years old. Little kids are often a lot braver at trying out new languages, where adults are worried about being competent.” – Katie Bernstein, assistant professor at Mary Lou Fulton Teachers College.

ASU physicians, researchers collaborate during campus-wide flu outbreak

"ASU has faced many flu seasons, but this year has been especially hard on students." Illustration published on Wednesday, Feb.14, 2018.

Relevant quote: “(The flu is) earlier, it’s heavier and lots more numbers of students (get) sick. We’ve seen higher fevers, more body aches, some nausea and vomiting to go with it.” – Dr. Stefanie Schroeder, medical director at ASU Health Services.

Reach the reporter at maatenci@asu.edu or follow @mitchellatencio on Twitter.

×