Research Roundup: Bugs, power grids and asteroids

Antibiotics in bugs, innovative power systems and space exploration

State Press Roundup 2.jpg

Illustration published on Monday, Feb. 19, 2018.     

In recent ASU research news: 

Microgrid technologies 

ASU Professor Nathan Johnson and a team of 20 students are working with Queen Creek company FastGrid to produce mobile microgrid tech on the Polytechninc campus. The microgrids be used in disaster-relief, hospitals and mining and oil industries. The U.S. Department of Energy defines microgrids as a “local energy grid with control capability, which means it can disconnect from the traditional grid and operate autonomously.” Microgrids are considered an innovation in technology expansion, as they can bring power to remote locations.

ANTibiotics: Research compares ants producing antibiotics to fight disease

A new study headed by Professor Clint Penick found that some species of ants produce strong antimicrobial agents to fight diseases. According to ASU, the research could be applied to “the search for new antibiotics that could possibly be used in humans.” The researchers found that 12 of the 20 ant species developed antimicrobial agents on their exoskeleton. 

The last week, from the Science and Tech desk: 

ASU team works with NASA to explore the asteroid Psyche in 2022

"NASA selected ASU to lead the 2022 Psyche mission." Illustration published on Thursday, Feb. 15, 2018.

Relevant Quote: "Part of what NASA really wants to do is make sure that we're educating our youth about the importance of science and the importance of space exploration.
– Karin Valentine, spokesperson for the School of Earth and Space Exploration.

ASU co-created a university coalition to fight climate change

"ASU and many other educational institutions have joined a coalition to deal with climate change in hopes finding new solutions." Illustration published on Wednesday, Feb. 21, 2018.

“We want to reduce our footprint as much as possible, but we want to increase our hand print. So, that’s how many inventions can we make in renewable energy, how many research papers can we get published that somehow advance climate solutions." – Mick Dalrymple, director of University Sustainability Practices. 

Here are the best and most anticipated apps invented by ASU students

An ASU student browses through several phone applications created by ASU students and alumni on ASU's downtown campus on Wednesday, Feb. 21, 2018.

ASU Students and Alumni have invented apps to keep track of deadlines and to receive notifications on restaurant deals. Apps that are on the way include a phone app version of AirGarage, which will help students rent parking on the fly.

Reach the reporter at maatenci@asu.edu or follow @mitchellatencio on Twitter.

×