March 2018 arts and culture round-up

Here's what you may have missed this month from the State Press arts and culture desk

gallery-3.jpg

Sophomore nursing student Amanda Delgado and freshman vocal performance and music education student Grace Roman walk around the SABER ACOMODAR exhibit at the ASU Museum in Tempe, Arizona on Tuesday, March 13, 2018. Read more about the art exhibit here.

Despite Spring Break, March has been a month packed with arts and culture events and stories. Check out some of the stories from the State Press that you may have missed through the month:

The ASU Art Museum 'Project Space' to close April 2018

The ASU Art Museum’s Downtown exhibit location which features experimental works from resident artists will be closing the doors of its current location. The Art Museum has yet to officially decide whether the Space will be re-located or re-imagined.

The current exhibit "To See the Words Unspoken" will run at the project space until April 20.

Read More: To See the Words Unspoken exhibit weaves an image of the impact of words

ASU alumna Tayari Jones' latest novel chosen for Oprah's Book Club

Author and ASU alumna Tayari Jones’ most recent novel “An American Marriage” was recently chosen as the latest Oprah’s Book Club pick. Jones was a guest on the Late Show with Seth Meyers on March 20 to talk about the novel, but first she talked to State Press reporter Andrew Thaung in an article published March 12.

Having trouble getting it on: USG Tempe cancels Project Condom fashion show

After negative feedback from right-wing media organization, USG canceled a sex positive event. Out of fear of additional feedback and to protect participants, USG canceled another one. It is unclear what the future of USG sex positive events will look like.

Read more: After pressures from right-wing media, USGT cancels masturbation-positive event 

ASU's Annual Pow Wow is an event for camaraderie and tradition

This year marks the 32nd annual Pow Wow at ASU: according to long-time attendees of the event, “(The sound of the drums) gets inside your soul and moves you around a little bit. Honestly, it’s a religious experience to me.”

Dear Evan Hansen' announced for the 2018-2019 Gammage season

Along with “Wicked,” “Book of Mormon,” “Rent,” “Aladdin” and “Hello, Dolly!,” the Tony Award-winning musical “Dear Evan Hansen” will be coming to ASU next season.

Read More: How the Gammage legacy shaped the history of ASU

TEDxASU speakers see 'boundless' potential for this year's event

The third annual 2018 TEDxASU event will be on March 31 at the Tempe Center of the Arts. This year’s event topic is “Boundless” and will include informative talk about societal concepts presented by a variety of speakers including ASU professors and students. 

Tickets for TEDxASU: Boundless are available here.

'Workaholics' comedy trio invades ASU to promote new film

Their film “Game Over, Man!” will be released on Netflix on March 23.

Italian food activist Don Pasta brings his musical culinary experience to ASU

A “chef, DJ, author, expert and activist of traditional Italian cuisine and practices,” is bringing his one of kind musical culinary experience to ASU on March 29.

ASU programs break down barriers within prison walls

From music to writing, different groups around ASU are working with ex-offenders to improve prison conditions.

'Uncertainty' Fashion Show brings professional-grade style to ASU

The first fashion show presented by the ASU Herberger Arts and Design Entrepreneurship Students will take place on March 31.

The Sun Devil Breakdancing Club draws visiting dancers from all over the world

A regular site at ASU Programming and Activity Board’s Third Thursday events, the Sun Devil Breakdancing Club is quickly becoming a cornerstone of the Tempe dance community. 

March Books and Booze:

A series originally started in 2016, the State Press arts and culture editors pair works of classic literature with mixed drinks (and sometimes set whiskey on fire).

Books and Booze: 'Brave New World' by Aldous Huxley

Books and Booze: 'Fahrenheit 451' by Ray Bradbury

Reach the reporter at abpotter@asu.edu and follow @lexipotter04 on Twitter. 

×