ASU women's lacrosse falls to Oregon

The Sun Devils are now 0-2 in conference play

IMG_0124.jpg

ASU freshman midfielder Erin DiBernardo (3) shoots the ball past sophomore goalkeeper Berkeley Bonneau (00) during practice in Tempe, Arizona, on Jan. 24, 2018.

Despite sophomore midfielder Avery Hamill scoring a hat trick, the Sun Devils (5-3) suffered their third loss of the season to the University of Oregon Ducks, 14-6.  It was the team's first home Pac-12 game in program history.

“Our first Pac-12 game at home, I think an exciting one for the fans,” Head Coach Courtney Martinez Connor said. “Our team did a great job at the draw, I think our goalie played outstanding, one of our attackers came in from the sideline. Avery Hamill certainly stepped up and was a spark for us on the field — unfortunately it didn’t transfer for a win for us.”

Hamill did not start the game, but scored the last two goals of the game. 

“Our team picking it up in the second half is kind of what allowed me to be able to score those goals, and hopefully next time we can come back even further and beat them next game,” Hamill said.

Sophomore goalkeeper Berkeley Bonneau was shelled with 33 shots from Oregon. She finished with a solid performance in goal with 12 saves.

“When we are down like this, I always say it’s not about the last shot — it’s about the next shot,” Bonneau said.

The Sun Devils have struggled offensively in Pac-12 play. ASU averaged just over 16 goals per game in non-conference play, but has only averaged 4.5 goals per game in conference play.

“The level of play is the biggest difference because when we were going against Kennesaw State, Stetson, we were putting like double digits on the board,” Bonneau said. “We're gonna have to bust our butts, work the defense and get by if we want to put those points up, and it might not be as easy as running through the girls, putting them on the ground and just slamming it into the back of the net.” 

The first half was all Oregon.

The Ducks started the game on a 7-0 run fueled by senior defender Jill Zubillaga’s first half hat trick. Zubillaga finished with four goals and one assist. 

The Sun Devils scoring drought continued until 3:43 left in the first half, when freshman attack Julia Burns assisted a cutting freshman attack Taylor Carson, who would score the Sun Devils' lone first half goal.

Oregon junior attack Shannon Williams also put up an impressive stat line with four goals and one assist.

Senior attacker Cambi Cukar had a very successful day distributing the ball. She picked apart the Sun Devil defense with four assists.

The Ducks racked up seven assists, while the Sun Devils only had two assists.  Draw controls were even at 11. 

ASU dropped its third game of the season, while the Ducks improved their record to 4-2.

The Sun Devils will continue Pac-12 play when they play the No.14 Colorado Buffaloes on Sunday, March 18 at 11 a.m. 

Reach the reporter at nsheehy@asu.edu or follow @nsheehy_nick on Twitter.

×