ASU baseball drops road series to Washington State

Spencer Torkelson broke Barry Bonds' freshman home run record on Thursday night

DSC_2556.jpg

ASU freshman infielder Spencer Torkelson (20) brings in a run during a 10-3 loss against University of Nevada Las Vegas at the Phoenix Municipal Stadium in Phoenix, Arizona, on Tuesday, March 20, 2018.

The Sun Devils (13-14, 5-4 Pac-12) continued their road struggles with a series loss to the Washington State University Cougars on Saturday. It was the team's second straight series loss away from Tempe.

Thursday

Final: WSU 8, ASU 7 (10 innings)

ASU started strong, plating four runs in the first inning against Washington State. Freshman shortstop Alika Williams doubled in two runs to make it 3-0 and freshman third baseman Gage Workman drove in the Sun Devils' fourth run of the frame with a single.

But the Cougars scored six runs in the second inning, chasing ASU junior right-hander Sam Romero from the game after only 1.1 innings. Washington State led 6-4.

Sophomore right fielder Hunter Bishop executed a bunt in the third inning to score a run in the third and pull ASU within a run, 6-5.

Then in the sixth inning, freshman first baseman Spencer Torkelson broke Barry Bonds' 35-year-old ASU freshman home run record with his 12th of the season, a two run shot that gave ASU the lead back, 7-6.

But Washington State tied the game up in the seventh after an error by ASU junior reliever Fitz Stadler and Cougars' junior Justin Harrer hit a walk off home run in the 10th inning off sophomore closer Chaz Montoya.

Friday

Final: WSU 4, ASU 3 

Eight different ASU batters recorded at least one hit, but for the second consecutive night, WSU won in extra innings, this time in 11.

Torkelson homered for the second straight game, a solo shot to right-center that gave ASU a 1-0 lead in the first inning. But the Cougars responded with two runs in the bottom half of the first.

The Cougars led 2-1 until each team crossed the plate once in the sixth. With runners on first and second, sophomore catcher Lyle Lin tied the game up with an RBI single. But once again, WSU responded with a run of its own in the bottom half of the sixth to retake the lead, 3-2.

Bishop tied the game up with a solo home run in the eighth inning, but a walk and a hit batter by ASU junior reliever Connor Higgins set up a another walk-off win for WSU.

The Sun Devils dropped the first two games to a WSU team that came into the series 5-14. 

Saturday 

Final: ASU 7, WSU, 0

Six days after pitching eight scoreless innings in a win over UCLA, ASU senior left-hander Eli Lingos one upped himself on Saturday. Lingos threw a complete game shutout, helping the Sun Devils salvage the series finale against the Cougars.

Lingos only allowed six hits, walked one and struck out seven. The southpaw picked up his fifth win of the season and lowered his ERA to 2.02.

The Sun Devils' offense provided plenty of support for Lingos, scoring 7 times on 12 hits. A sacrifice fly produced the first run of the game in the second. Then in the third, Lane drove in two runs with a single to make it 4-0. ASU added three more runs in the top of the ninth. Williams was hit with the bases loaded and pinch hitter Carter Aldrete drove in the final two runs with a single up the middle.

Up Next

The Sun Devils (13-14, 5-4 Pac-12) return to Phoenix Municipal Stadium on Tuesday night for the start of a two-game, mid-week series against California State University at Fullerton. First pitch is scheduled for 6:30 p.m.

Reach the reporter at jpjacqu1@asu.edu or follow @joejacquezaz on Twitter.

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepresssport on Twitter.

×