ASU Film Association prepares to host annual 48-Hour Film Festival

Festival participants will create a full film production from scratch in two straight days

48hrfilm2.jpeg

"A 48-hour film festival is coming to campus." Illustration published on Monday, Aug. 27, 2018.

Filmmakers and film enthusiasts across ASU are given the opportunity each year to create their own production with only 48 hours on the clock through a festival hosted by the ASU Film Association.

The AFA is a student-run organization aiming to create a space for the ASU film community to network and produce.

Welcoming students of any degree, AFA assists members with every stage of the film creation process including screenwriting, pre-production planning and even equipment rental.

Assistant Director of Film for the Herberger Institute, Jason Scott, said the AFA is strongly linked to the ASU Film Program

“They were part of the reason the film program got created," Scott said.  "There were enough students who sort of went to ASU leadership at the time and said ‘We need a film production program,’ so the legacy is there.”

AFA is a great creative outlet for both film and non-film majors to explore the filmmaking process, Scott said. 

"It is a really good opportunity to master your own craft," he said. 

AFA president and junior film and media production major, Allorie Feekes, said the AFA is hosting their annual 48-Hour Film Festival Sept. 7-9, two months earlier than previous years, in an effort to ignite excitement and involvement about the AFA. 

“I think by having it at the very beginning of the year, where everyone has a fresh mind and not a lot of things going on, it’s going to be successful,” Feekes said.

On the evening of Sept. 7, participants of the 48-Hour Film Festival will be prompted with a word and an object that must be included in their film. 

The prompt video from last year's 48-Hour Film Festival.

Participants complete the process of recruiting, writing the script, pre-production, shooting and editing all in 48 hours. A process that can sometimes take up to months or years to complete.

Former AFA president and senior film and media production major, Latavia Young, participated in the 48-Hour Film Festival her freshmen year. 

Young said the festival's 48-hour time limit is a way to challenge one's skills as a filmmaker. 

“It’s low-key stressful," Young said. "You go to the meeting night, and you pretty much just stay up for two days.”

Despite the stress of creating a production from scratch within two days, the film screening and Oscars-style awards ceremony on Sept. 13 following the competition weekend is an opportunity to celebrate all of the completed work. 

In the past, the AFA has engaged the audience members in the screening event by including them as judges, but it has yet to be decided whether students or faculty will judge this year's entries.

AFA board member and junior filmmaking practices major Amanda Cardoza said the films are judged on writing, directing, cinematography and editing. Prizes are awarded for the best film in each category. 

"The majority of it is pretty fun," Cardoza said. "I don't want anyone to get too scared and get the feeling it's so serious. This is college, and we are still finding what we want to do and discovering how things are, and I feel like our club helps.”

Reach the reporter at dfbrewst@asu.edu or follow @destinyyyfaye on Twitter. 

×