Four ASU baseball players are no longer with the program

Two pitchers, an infielder and an outfielder no longer Sun Devils

Imani Randle
ASU sophomore catcher Lyle Lin (27) watches his teammate prepare for a swing during a game against Utah at the Phoenix Municipal Stadium in Phoenix, Arizona on Saturday, April 21, 2018.

Four ASU baseball players are no longer with the program, according to a report made by Jordan Kaye from Devils Digest. Kaye cited that a team source confirmed sophomore Zach Hogueisson, senior Jeremy McCuin, redshirt sophomore Dellan Raish and junior Spencer Van Scoyoc are no longer with the team. 

Hogueisson, Raish and Van Scoyoc are filing for transfers, while McCuin announced his retirement from baseball via Facebook on Wednesday.

The departure of a corner infielder like McCuin leaves a hole to fill in the potential 2019 batting rotation. McCuin batted .256 while driving in 19 RBI's in his sophomore campaign in 2017. He played four games in his junior season before suffering a shoulder injury that kept him out for the rest of the year.

Hogueisson stepped to the plate 21 times last year while batting .286. Raish played a prominent role in the pitching rotation last year as well. He went 3-1 in 22 appearances, and he finished the 2018 season with a 3.00 ERA and 47 strikeouts. 

Van Scoyoc struggled in 2018, yielding a 6.29 ERA in 15 appearances. He finished the season with an 0-3 record.

ASU baseball struggled for the second consecutive year in 2018. The team finished 23-32 the past two years, which marked the first time in program history that a Sun Devil baseball team has finished with two straight losing seasons. 

Reach the reporter at jahorst.mcs@gmail.com.   

Jeffrey HorstDigital editor-in-chief

Jeffrey Horst is the digital editor-in-chief of The State Press. He previously served as the publication's sports editor and worked at Cronkite News and ArizonaSports.com.

×