ASU football stumbles late and costs them a winnable game versus UW

The Sun Devils couldn't complete the comeback in Seattle

IMG_4111.jpg

ASU redshirt senior Manny Wilkins (5) scrambles to the sideline in the Sun Devils' 16-13 victory over the Michigan State Spartans in Tempe, Arizona, on Saturday, Sept. 8, 2018.

The Pac-12-after-dark game didn't disappoint as the No. 10 Washington Huskies (3-1, 2-0) were able to defeat ASU (2-2, 0-1) 27-20 in Seattle. 

The Sun Devils started the game off hot as they recorded an interception on the first play of the game by redshirt sophomore cornerback Chase Lucas. ASU capitalized on a six-play, 20-yard drive with all plays called for sophomore running back Eno Benjamin. Benjamin scored on a one-yard run on 4th-and-goal. 

However, the lead lasted merely four minutes as UW senior quarterback Jake Browning led the Huskies down the field for a score. Browning found junior wide receiver Aaron Fuller all alone in the end zone to tie the game at seven.

No matter what the Sun Devils did, the Huskies were able to quickly respond. ASU, carried by Benjamin in the backfield, made its way down the field, but were only able to put up three points on the ensuing drive, with sophomore kicker Brandon Ruiz drilling a 48-yard field goal to put the Sun Devils back up top 10-7. 

Washington answered right back with another Browning touchdown, this time to sophomore wide receiver Ty Jones on a 19-yard score, putting the Huskies up 14-10. 

After a few stalled drives by both offenses, the Huskies had the chance to blow this game out of the water with a 16-play drive. Washington had the ball on ASU's four-yard line, with senior running back Myles Gaskin in the backfield ready to score. The Sun Devils defense stood tall and forced the Huskies to settle for three points. 

Trailing 17-10 coming out of halftime, redshirt senior quarterback Manny Wilkins struggled in the passing game, finishing with 17 completions for 104 yards. Ruiz was able to connect on another 40-plus yard field goal to keep the Devils within a one score (17-13). 

Later in the game, Washington was able to take control and showcase why they are the best team in the Pac-12. The Huskies scored 10 straight points with Browning throwing his third touchdown of the night to redshirt freshman Cade Otton in the back right corner of the end zone. Browning finished the night completing 15 passes for 202 yards and the three touchdowns. 

In what looked to be the end of the game, the Sun Devils flipped the switch after junior wide receiver N'Keal Harry returned a punt to the team's own 42-yard line. 

The Sun Devils capitalized by Wilkins keeping the ball for a one-yard score. However, ASU wasted too much time and saw the clock tick to within three minutes. 

Washington's redshirt junior wide receiver Andre Baccellia made a crucial third-down conversion on a toe tapping catch. That punch killed the Sun Devils' chances of a potential game-tying drive.

ASU will head back home to play the Oregon State Beavers (1-3, 0-1) for Family Weekend on Sept. 29th, on the Pac-12 Network.

Reach the reporter at sbemanue@asu.edu or follow @SebastianEman5 on Twitter. 

×