Why is it so difficult to find a photography club on the Tempe campus?

The Student Photographers' Association holds meetings on the first Wednesday of every month — but no one can find them

IMG_1941.jpg

ASU sophomore AJ Shipitofsky takes photos in Tempe, Arizona, on Saturday, Sept. 22, 2018.

ASU boasts over 1,000 student organizations, yet students are puzzled to find that the University's OrgSync does not feature any photography clubs in Tempe, its largest campus.

The only club listed on the site is the Poly Photography Club, catered toward students on the Polytechnic campus. 

A list of ASU student organizations does mention a Tempe-based club called the Student Photographers' Association, but the “Learn more” link leads to an error page.

AJ Shipitofsky, a sophomore studying engineering management, said he has been looking for a photography club on the Tempe campus since the start of the semester.

“I went to Passport just to find a photography club,” Shipitofsky said. “And I asked workers about where to find information on one. I was told that there should be a photography club, but no one knew anything about it. I’m still looking for one.”

What Shipitofsky and students like him don't know is that the ASU Student Photographers' Association does exist. However, because it is not listed on OrgSync, it is difficult for students to find and join.

Kevin Ashu, a board member for the club and a junior double majoring in computer systems engineering and photography, said a lack of board members has prevented the club from being listed on OrgSync.

“OrgSync requires three student board leaders to list a club,” Ashu said. “Unfortunately, we just don’t have three people willing to do that, and it makes the club harder to find.”

Liz Allen, the club advisor and fine arts specialist in the School of Art, said she has seen the amount of members within the club fluctuate throughout the years.

“I've been teaching at ASU for almost 20 years,” Allen said. “We've had different clubs go in and out, and this one has had a sustained membership for probably 10 years. Membership increases and decreases, so it really depends on interest.”

Shipitofsky said he wishes the Student Photographers' Association had better exposure so students like him, with an interest, can find it.

“I take photos for a magazine,” he said. “I think I have a good set of skills, and I am always looking to improve. When there’s no one I can find to learn from, it gets a little difficult to expand my knowledge.”

Currently, the best way to find the club is on its website or social media pages, however their website has not been updated in over a year. Allen said students looking to join the club can email her or Ashu to get more information.

Ashu said he hopes more students become aware of the club, so they can take advantage of the resources it offers.

“We have so many opportunities for students to build their portfolios. Sometimes we even get emails from companies asking for students to photograph their products," Ashu said. "It’s a great way to build your resume and network.”

Reach the reporter at jkbeneve@asu.edu and follow @JacobBenevento on Twitter.

×