ASU President Michael Crow receives $150K bonus from ABOR

The AZ Board of Regents granted Crow $150,000 in bonuses, NAU and UA presidents each received $35,000

MichaelCrow-10.jpg

ASU President Michael Crow speaks during a meeting on ASU's Tempe campus in Tempe, Arizona, on Wednesday, Sept. 19, 2018.

ASU President Michael Crow received a $150,000 bonus Thursday from the Arizona Board of Regents, the largest bonus for a president of one of Arizona's three public universities in fiscal year 2018, according to ABOR's meeting minutes from Sept. 27. 

Crow's contract was also extended through June 30, 2023, according to the minutes.

These bonuses, which ABOR calls "at-risk compensation," are given out based on the completion of various objectives the Regents assign to each University.

In May 2018 Crow received a salary increase of $90,000 bringing his annual salary to $690,000.

Crow also received an increase in his retirement plan, which now accumulates about $145,000 each year. Crow was the only major Arizona university president to receive an increase in his retirement plan, the meeting minutes stated. 

The UA and NAU presidents each received $35,000 bonuses.

Each bonus Crow received came from a different assignment from ABOR. He received $15,000 for a plan he made to increase enrollment in the engineering programs, $10,000 for plans on the Novus Innovation Corridor and $10,000 for a report "detailing the fully encapsulated enterprise structure of ASU," the minutes read. 

In addition, there were multiple bonuses given out for increasing the University retention rate, research spending, degrees granted, total enrollment, Pac-12 ranking and more, totaling around $100,000. 

He received his final $15,000 for his work with the Enterprise Executive Committee, the other presidents and the head of ABOR, to make a plan that incorporated all three universities in downtown Phoenix. 

Despite Crow cashing a $150,000 bonus, he could have netted an additional $60,000 if he had fully completed all of his goals. One goal, which would have added $10,000 was to graduate almost 10,000 students in high demand fields, and another $50,000 would have been awarded if Crow had completed all the other goals. 

Reach the reporter at ajhowar6@asu.edu and follow @andrew_howard4 on Twitter.

×