Alexia Delgado and Nicole Douglas came up big in ASU soccer's win over SDSU

The ASU soccer team defeated South Dakota State 2-0 on Monday night

0902018GirlsSoccerVSoutheastMissouriState1.jpg

ASU freshman forward Nicole Douglas (9) chases down her opponent in a game against Southeast Missouri State at Sun Devil Soccer Stadium in Tempe, Arizona, on Friday, Aug. 31, 2018.

After a tough loss just days prior against Baylor on Friday, the ASU soccer team turned things around with a 2-0 win against South Dakota State University on Monday. 

Sun Devil freshman midfielder Alexia Delgado found some leeway at the 20-minute mark of the game as she picked up the first goal. That strike was Delgado's second goal of the year, and it was followed by an insurance goal from freshman forward Nicole Douglas in the 76th minute.

The Jackrabbits were given an opportunity to tie the game at one in the 28th minute after ASU senior defender Angela Boyle was issued a yellow card.

Unfortunately for SDSU, senior defender Annie Williams' free kick was shot high and over the net.  

The Sun Devils defense wouldn't budge during the rest of the match after allowing 10 shot attempts, with senior goalkeeper Sydney Day earning two saves to secure the win. 

ASU will now make their way back to Arizona for a match against Northern Arizona University on Friday, Sept. 14 at 7 p.m. MST. The Sun Devils are now 3-2 in their young season.

Reach the reporter at Edith.Noriega@asu.edu or follow @Noriega_Edith on Twitter. 

×