ASU football team ranked for the first time since 2015

The Sun Devils want to keep improving weekly to go up from No. 23

090818 ASU v MI State-10.jpg

ASU junior wide receiver Kyle Williams (10) fends off the Michigan State defense in the Sun Devils 16-13 win at Sun Devil Football Stadium in Tempe, Arizona, on Saturday, Sept. 9, 2018.

The ASU football team saw their names in the AP Poll, ranked No. 23 in the country for the first time since the 2015 preseason, after their 16-13 upset victory over the No. 25 Michigan State Spartans.

After the hiring of Herm Edwards, a hefty chunk of social media users criticized the hiring because Edwards had not coached college football in over 30 years. Now, the team has already shut down the criticism with their No.1 ranked rushing defense and sacks recorded, two games into the season. 

With the team preparing to take on the San Diego State University Aztecs on Saturday, the team knows they deserved to be in the top 25. 

"I learned that we’re a top 25 team and obviously the nation did too," junior wide receiver Kyle Williams said. "I think that’s a good part of the team with all the guys staying humble."

Williams had himself a game against the Spartans, recording 104 yards and becoming the go-to target for redshirt senior quarterback Manny Wilkins.

Another player that has stood out after the first two games is sophomore running back Eno Benjamin. Benjamin has 227 total yards and two touchdowns this season and has no plans of slowing down.

"We’re just going to keep working," Benjamin said. "It’s a big accomplishment but if we lose, we’re probably going to back out of the top 25 and that’s not what we’re trying to do, so we’re working like we’re still ranked.” 

Benjamin alluded to the fact that having an offense that has stayed together is another reason why the team has caught voters eyes. 

“It’s something we always expected," he said. "We all knew from the get-go that this was going to be a special team ... and I knew our offensive line would develop and do good things. Through that, I knew I’d be able to have a successful first two games as well."

One player still in awe is redshirt sophomore wide receiver Frank Darby. 

"I knew eventually it would happen and we were hoping it would happen to us last year after we beat Washington," Darby said. "We made it happen this year and it's crazy."

Darby said the team has worked tirelessly since Edwards took over from former head coach Todd Graham. 

“Everybody talked bad on us with (Edwards) being away from college football for so long," Darby said. "They didn’t know if we were going to be good or not. He trains us, when in his head he knows how to be a football player. 

"That’s one thing about great players, that they never forget. He’s just mentally showing us or telling us and we’re just going out there and perfecting everything he’s doing, and it’s actually paying off and showing off on the field.”

Reach the reporter at sbemanue@asu.edu or follow @SebastianEman5 on Twitter. 

×