ASU men's and women's golf both had strong showings over the weekend

The men's team and women's team both finished second

DSC_3715.jpg

ASU now-junior Cameron Sisk lines up his shot during the Maui Jim Invitational at Mirabel Golf Club in Scottsdale, Arizona, on Friday, Sept. 21, 2018.

Men's Golf: Maui Jim Invitational

The Georgia Tech men's golf team won the Maui Jim Invitational in Scottsdale, Arizona on Sunday following an extensive fight for first place all weekend with ASU.

Georgia Tech finished its tournament with a -28 (812) after shooting -7 as a team on Sunday to push past ASU (-26) and LSU (-23).

"Georgia Tech took it," head coach Matt Thurmond said. "We had a lead going down the final stretch. We didn't make a bunch of bogeys – they just made a million birdies."

The tournament fielded numerous Bushnell Golfweek Preseason Coaches Poll teams, including No. 6 Auburn, No. 7 Georgia Tech, No. 13 Clemson and No. 19 Arizona State.

ASU was led into the tournament as defending champs of the tournament by junior Chun An Yu. Yu was coming off a spectacular offseason in which he qualified for the U.S. Open. Yu entered the final day as the sole leader at -11 after shooting a 64 on day two. 

Yu looked to extend his lead as he shot a -2 through the front nine on Sunday. Yu couldn't get things rolling on the back half as he parred every hole to finish his day at -2.

ASU assistant coach, Armen Kirakossian, followed Yu through the last few holes in the round. 

"He looked good – (he) wasn't super sharp with his approach shots, which ended up resulting in him not being able to take advantage and make birdies," Yu said. "He's an awesome player and had a really good tournament." 

Yu finished his tournament at -13, falling short of the individual medal by two strokes to Clemson's Bryson Nimmer, who shot a -5 to close out the tournament. Oregon's Edwin Yi rounded out the top three with a -10. 

ASU fielded six golfers in the tournament: junior Alex Del Rey, Yu, sophomore Mason Andersen, junior Blake Wagoner, freshman Cameron Sisk and freshman transfer Won Jun Lee, who competed as an individual. 

Del Rey, the most recent World Amateur Champion, finished his tournament at +2 (212) following an even par final round.

"With the new guys coming in, I feel like we have a really good team," Del Rey said. "This week I didn't have my best out there, but it's kind of nice to still have a chance to win."

The men's team will travel to Erin, Wisconsin to compete in the Marquette Invitational on Sept. 30.

Women's Golf: Mason Rudolph Women's Championship

ASU women's golf placed second at the Mason Rudolph Women's Championship, falling short to Vanderbilt after rainy conditions caused the final round to be suspended. 

Vanderbilt's Abbey Carlson dominated through two rounds, posting a 12-under for the tournament. Carlson had 13 birdies and only one bogey before rain ended her campaign.

ASU played five golfers in the tournament: senior Sofia Anokhina, freshman Alexandra Forsterling, senior Madison Kerley, junior Olivia Mehaffey and sophomore Raquel Olmos

ASU finished the tournament at -5 as a team, 12 shots back of the leader, Vanderbilt, at -17. Mehaffey had the best tournament of ASU's representatives, finishing at 4-under par. 

ASU women's golf goes off to Chicago to play in the Windy City Collegiate Championship on Oct. 1-2.

Reach the reporter at ccwill14@asu.edu or follow @chasewilliams_8 on Twitter.

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepressport on Twitter.

×