ASU men's swim has a bright future that extends past this season

Fresh faces and seasoned coaches are leading ASU men's swim into the new season

30118_20151107swimdive_vs_airforce_ucla_19o.JPG

ASU then-freshman Danny Comforti competes in the 200-yard breaststroke against the Air Force Academy on Saturday, Nov. 7, 2015, at Mona Plummer Aquatic Center in Tempe, Arizona. 

The fresh faces of ASU's men's swim team are set to propel the program to depths that it has never seen before. Building off a banner year in the 2017-18 season with the men securing the fifth best incoming class in the nation according to SwimSwam magazine, the team is hopeful to rise to the top of the conference. 

Although last year's season ended with historic program success, the team is still unsatisfied. This year, their sights are set on breaking their previous records and landing again at the top of the rankings, both in conference and in the NCAA overall.

Senior breaststroker Danny Comforti said he believes the team's goals are easily attainable considering the heavy talent behind them, especially on the men's side. 

"As a team, our goal is to get top three in the Pac-12," Comforti said. "Teams that have beaten us in the past, where we've gotten fourth or even fifth place ... we want to eliminate that and get on the podium. I know we can do that if we keep going forward the way we are."

Head Coach Bob Bowman said he is more than happy with the team's progress over these last few weeks. 

"They've done a really, really great job, and I'm pleased with their attitude," Bowman said. "They came back in much better condition than a year ago so we're ahead of the game." 

Besides the obvious benefits of having a world-class coach like Bowman back for his fourth season, the squad has gained 25 new athletes in the form of freshmen and transfers – many of who were stars of their own respective high school and collegiate squads. 

"I couldn't even single out any of the freshmen because they're all doing well," Bowman said. "They as a class have been super great all around."

The new members of the team haven't been timid while diving into the program. Sophomore freestyler Grant House had nothing but glowing remarks about the freshmen and transfers swimmers' transition to ASU.

"They've been coming into this program with open arms and open minds," House said. "And that's the most we can ask for. They continuously ask for help when they need it, 24/7 they're trying to figure out ways to get better whether it be nutritionally, academically or athletically."

Bowman said that the program's tallest hurdle to clear this year will be the team's experience. 

"The new guys (are) learning what it's all about," Bowman said. "What its like on the collegiate level, how the dual meets go and what the championship meets are like will be our biggest challenge."

The first meet the newest members will experience will be the annual Maroon & Gold Instrasquad Scrimmage held on Sept. 28 at the Mona Plummer Aquatic Center. House said it's one of the most intense and cuttroat meets of the entire season.

"We're racing the most challenging opponents were going to have and that's who we race in the pool every day," House said. "I thoroughly look forward to it. I have it on my calendar and I know I'll be ready to race when it comes game time."

Reach the columnist at kcdoyle2@asu.edu or follow @kellydoyle06 on Twitter. 

×