ASU volleyball dropped its match against Texas State on Saturday night

The Sun Devils lost to the Bobcats 3-0 in their final non-conference match

DSC_2019.jpg

ASU freshman middle blocker Megan Beedie (17) and sophomore setter Nicole Peterson (6) narrowly miss a block attempt during the first set of the Sun Devils' 3-set loss to Oregon on Thursday, Nov. 9, 2017 at Wells Fargo Arena in Tempe, Arizona.

In their last non-conference match before heading into Pac-12 play, the ASU volleyball team lost to Texas State in three straight sets.

ASU fell behind the Bobcats in set one, but the Sun Devils fought back and eventually tied the set 21-21, only to have Texas State take the first set 25-22.

“We need to follow the assignments blocking. We knew exactly what they were going to do … we talked about it. We actually drew it out on the board, gave them a visual about that,” ASU head coach Sanja Tomasevic said. “(It) leaves you, as a coach, really helpless. Give them all the tools and keys and it doesn’t happen, so we have to learn from it.”

The Sun Devils, who were 10 points behind Texas State at one point, made a comeback in set two. The two teams battled for the win, but it ultimately ended in a Bobcat 28-26 victory. 

Texas State took the match in the final set by defeating ASU 25-17. 

“I don’t see anything positive in this match,” Tomasevic said. “Besides Alyse Ford maybe and Nicole Peterson ... finding their groove."

Ford led the team in kills with 16 on the night.

“I’ve been struggling this week with nerves,” Ford said. “I was vulnerable to my teammates and I mentioned that I was feeling super nervous … After that, I felt free to play and it was just fun from there.”

Ford is a senior Pac-12 transfer from USC, and she has had limited time to practice with the team, but on Saturday she had a hitting percentage of .387.

“Tonight is the first match we got to see what Alyse (Ford) can do for us,” Tomasevic said. “I hope she carries it on to Pac-12 play.”

ASU will take part in their first Pac-12 match against the UA Wildcats on Sept. 20 in Tucson. 

“We are hungry to win 100 percent. I can see it on all of our faces,” Peterson said.  “We are close; it’s going to take time, but that drive, that swing is going to keep coming.”

Reach the reporter at skbrisen@asu.edu or follow @sophiabriseno on Twitter.

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepressport on Twitter.

×