Instant Recap: ASU opens conference play with crushing loss to UW

Sun Devils suffer first back-to-back losses in Herm Edwards era

FootballvUTSA-9.jpg
ASU sophomore running back Eno Benjamin (3) runs the ball for a touchdown in the second half of the Sun Devils 49-7 blowout win over the UTSA Roadrunners at Sun Devil Stadium in Tempe, Arizona.

ASU football (2-2, 0-1) opened conference play against the No. 10 Washington Huskies (3-1, 2-0) in Seattle, but the Sun Devils were downed 27-20 by UW. 

The Huskies first play of the game was a trick play throw by junior wide receiver Andre Baccellia. Baccellia's throw was intercepted by redshirt sophomore cornerback Chase Lucas. Lucas returned the ball to the UW 20-yard line. 

Sophomore running back Eno Benjamin received every carry on the ensuing drive and eventually punched it in the end zone on a one-yard run. ASU led 7-0.

The Huskies responded by marching down the field on a nine-play, 80-yard drive. Senior quarterback Jake Browning found junior wide receiver Aaron Fuller in the middle of the field for a 30-yard completion. Browning then found Fuller again later in the drive for an 11-yard touchdown, tying the game at 7.

ASU settled for a 48-yard field goal on the next drive.

Not surprisingly, the Huskies marched down the field with receivers open left and right for Browning. Browning found sophomore wide receiver Ty Jones for a 19-yard touchdown. The Huskies led 14-10. 

Washington was able to capitalize later in the half with a 26-yard field goal. The Huskies entered halftime leading 17-10.

After coming out of the locker room, the Sun Devils put up three more points on a 41-yard field goal. 

Every time the Sun Devils were able to put points on the board, the Huskies retaliated by putting up points themselves. 

A quick eight-play, 63-yard drive allowed the Huskies to get into the red zone for the fourth time of the game. The Sun Devils defense was able to stand its ground and only allow three points. The Huskies led 20-13. 

Washington was able to grow their lead when Browning found redshirt freshman tight end Cade Otton in the back of the end zone. Washington only needed eight plays to go 67 yards to score.

ASU took over after a miraculous punt return by junior wide receiver N'Keal Harry. The Sun Devils were able to march down the field in 10 plays. Redshirt senior quarterback Manny Wilkins kept the ball on a one yard score, to make the game 27-20 with three minutes left in the game. 

In the last three minutes of the game, Washington was able to secure the win after Baccellia tapped his foot down on a crucial third-down conversion. ASU's Lucas was called for a late-hit penalty a play later, and the Huskies were able to run the clock down to the end. 

Reach the reporter at sbemanue@asu.edu or follow @SebastianEman5 on Twitter. 

×