Three former ASU football players join the Alliance of American Football

Demario Richard, DJ Calhoun and Mike Bercovici signed with Alliance Phoenix in the new professional football league

Demario Richard Carries

Then-ASU senior running back Demario Richard (4) carries during the first half of the Sun Devils' win over the Oregon State Beavers on Saturday, Nov. 18, 2017 at Reser Stadium in Corvallis, Oregon.

The Alliance of American Football has begun assembling rosters for its eight teams in preparation for kickoff in February 2019. Among those are three former ASU football players, including running back Demario Richard, linebacker DJ Calhoun and quarterback Mike Bercovici. All three have signed with Alliance Phoenix.

Richard announced his decision to join the club via Twitter last month, thanking former ASU offensive coordinator Billy Napier.

Richard and Calhoun are the most recent AAF players to have suited up for ASU and were both heavy contributors for the Sun Devils in 2017. As the primary ball carrier last year, Richard ran for 1,027 yards and scored 12 touchdowns. On the other side of the ball, Calhoun recorded 6.5 sacks and 12 tackles for loss last season.

Bercovici compiled 5,332 yards and 42 touchdowns through the air during his time with ASU from 2012-15

All three players did not hear their names called during their respective NFL drafts. However, each player had a brief stint with at least one team as a free agent. Richard was waived by the Atlanta Falcons and Calhoun was waived by the Browns this offseason. Bercovici spent some time with the San Diego Chargers in 2016 and 2017, before a brief stint with the Arizona Cardinals’ practice squad later in 2017. 

Former ASU head football coach and the 2007 Pac-10 Coach of the Year Dennis Erickson has also joined the AAF and will serve as the coach of Alliance Salt Lake. 

Alliance Phoenix will play its home games in Tempe at Sun Devil Stadium starting next year.

Reach the reporter at kmgianco@asu.edu and follow @Kaleb_Mart on Twitter.

×