Lo-fi ASU beats to chill and study to

Five student acts have a knack for producing calming music

IMG_1022-4.jpg

ASU junior Hudson Keown performs at Civic Space Park in downtown Phoenix, Arizona, on Wednesday, Jan. 31, 2018.

After a long day of writing papers and taking tests, kicking back with some low-energy, low-fi tunes can be the perfect remedy to student stress. Take a look at this list of ASU students putting the easy in easy listening.

rmo

Ryan Moreno’s music reflects 2000’s rhythm and blues mixed with modern lyrics and a dreamy, free-flowing vibe that embodies relaxation. Moreno’s voice is a powerful yet gentle over a steady soundscape of electronic drums and drawn-out synthesized chords.

His track “lost” employs a lengthy ambient intro and melancholy lyrics to bring a wave of serenity over listeners, and as the drum track and vocals enter, deeply personal lyrics keep the mind engaged.

Fans of Mura Masa and 6LACK will appreciate rmo’s thoughtful lyrics expertly layered over lo-fi tracks.

Keep up with rmo by following him on Twitter and Instagram.

Odin’s Big Papa

Acoustic instruments accompany synthesized pianos to create a psychedelic and bluesy instrumental sound that is vaguely reminiscent of '80s ballads but still has a modern electronic vibe.

Odin’s Big Papa’s early tracks are more electronic and are marked by a constant pulsing bass track that draws the listener in. Intricate details add flavor to the steady rhythm of the low-end sounds.

His track “Prawns” features mostly live instruments with bits of electronic assistance. The bass guitar in the song is a driving force for everything else, and the bright and shiny guitars add a feeling similar to that of the Black Keys.

Odin’s Big Papa does not limit himself to one genre of music, but the ever-present underlying pulse of each song allows for enjoyable and mindless listening.

Hudson Keown

Genre means nothing to Hudson Keown as he jumps from jazzy crooning to playful and upbeat rapping.

His album “Donuts For Dinner” features masterful piano playing and technical vocals sprinkled with clever but still serious lyrics.

Keown’s intricate instrumentals feature strings, pianos, ukulele and walking bass guitar.

The last track on “Donuts For Dinner” (titled “I Wanna Be Free”) employs gentle vocals over a simplistic ukulele part. The melancholy lyrics and falsetto singing on the track are reminiscent of Led Zeppelin’s Robert Plant in on "Stairway to Heaven."

Don’t miss Hudson Keown’s next track — follow him on Twitter.

Dr. Dasan

Dr. Dasan’s “effectively cinematic stoner rock,” as he put it on a Reddit post, is heavily influenced by '80s synth pop, and its gentle progressions are satisfying and calming.

His album Dasan III is impressively well-rounded as the songs range from the extremely intricate and high-velocity guitars and drums on Man Made Eclipse (Carbonation II) to the thoughtful and classical solo piano track “Procession.”

Dasan’s music shows a deep knowledge of music and an unstoppable genre-crossing attitude that makes for great studying, sleeping or walking music. The slower tracks send listeners into a trance of peaceful serenity and slow the mind, while the faster and more aggressive tracks offer a rush of adrenaline and energy.

Follow the mastermind behind Dr. Dasan on Facebook.

J-Definition

Fans of Frank Ocean can rejoice in J-Definition's classic voice and lyricism. Unique instrumentation and heavily electronic drum tracks allow for eyes-closed, relaxing-in-bed listening.

A tried-and-true R&B singing style brings comfort in the form of familiarity, taking listeners back to the early 2000's on J-Definition’s slower tracks, while his more high-energy songs give a sense of confidence.

J-Def’s latest release “No Thang” is a patient and intentional song that shows lyrical prowess can still be present on laid-back tracks. The hook is catchy and the steady rhythm of the track will unwind even the most tightly wound nerves.

Watch for what J-Definition does next on Twitter and Instagram.

Reach the reporter at japere38@asu.edu or follow @jsphprzz on Twitter.

Like The State Press on Facebook and follow @statepress on Twitter.

×