As we look back on 128 years of serving the ASU community, there’s a lot to take in. 

It’s easy to forget just how old The State Press is. The University's original publication — called The Normal Echo — published closer to the Civil War than to WWII. We existed as The Normal Echo before the city of Tempe was incorporated in 1894.

We’ve produced thousands of stories in our history, and we’re very proud of that.

But there’s a lot more to The State Press than just our content.

Behind every article, photo, video and cartoon we produce is a large and proud staff of student journalists who care deeply about their work and about the University community.

Hundreds of former State Pressers across the country who call their time at our publication one of the most memorable and important experiences of their lives. Today we celebrate a long tradition of pursuing impactful stories and the staff that's made doing so possible. 

A lot has changed in 128 years. We aren’t publishing a daily print edition anymore, we’re no longer writing to column inches and we’re producing more multimedia content than ever. But just like so many State Pressers before us have done, we still pile into the Matthews Center basement each week, cockroaches and all, to produce the news at ASU.

Here's to a great semester, 128 years, and many, many more.

Ethan Millman, executive editor

Arren Kimbel-Sannit, editor in chief 

Stella Atzenweiler, multimedia director

Parker Shea, magazine editor in chief 

×