Letter to the Editor: Proposition 127 will improve the economy and environment

Vote YES on Prop 127, says sustainability junior Jake Wilson

letter to the editor graphic

"Dear State Press, you've got mail." Illustration published on Friday, March 3, 2017.

As a young Arizonan, I support Ballot Proposition 127, which will require regulated utility companies to get at least 50 percent of their power from clean, renewable energy by 2030. 

A YES vote on Prop 127 will ensure a healthy and sustainable future for our great state. Why Prop 127 is important for Arizona can be explained in two words: economy and environment.

The pros for investing in renewable energies far outweigh the cons. Increasing solar and wind infrastructure in Arizona translates into a significant demand for new jobs. 

According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the job demand for solar and wind energy workers are the two fastest-growing areas in the U.S. This statistic is a far cry from the diminishing demand for fossil fuel workers. 

More importantly, renewable energy will not double energy bills for Arizonans. That’s right, APS is lying to you. Recently, the price per megawatt hour of solar and wind energy fell to a price competing that of fossil fuels. Trends suggest that renewable energy will be cheaper than fossil fuels by 2020

By 2030, when we reach our 50 percent goal, there is no knowing how much cheaper renewable energy will be. 

In addition, Prop 127 is a major step Arizona needs to take to ensure environmental sustainability. It is time for our state to take a stance and reduce our carbon footprint. 

Sweltering summers in Arizona are already not fun, but in the next few decades it will become much worse. 

Climate change caused by coal and natural gas emissions will plague our great state with more days of triple-digit heat, more intense wildfires and less water in our rivers. Emissions will continue to pollute our blue skies. 

As a young citizen, I want a clean and healthy state to live in and raise a family. Prop 127 is a huge push forward to ensure a livable Arizona for the next generations.

It is obvious why APS, a utility reliant on fossil fuels, would pour over $12 million into Prop 127 opposition ads, after spending millions in a failed attempt keep the initiative off the November ballot. 

APS is not trying to make a better Arizona; they are only trying to fatten their own wallets.

APS is a dirty monopoly hoping you will vote against the best interests of Arizona families and our economy. Arizona will eventually have to wane off fossil fuel life and shift to renewable energy. Why not prepare our state for the 21st century and embrace the generational shift toward renewable energy?

Prop 127 is not a partisan issue — it’s what’s best for our state. If you support economic growth, clean air, cheaper energy bills and a sustainable future in Arizona, vote YES on Prop 127. 

Editor’s note: The opinions presented in this letter to the editor are the author’s and do not imply any endorsement from The State Press or its editors. This letter to the editor was submitted by Jake Wilson, a sustainability junior at ASU and outreach and operations assistant at ASU Zero Waste.

Reach the author at JakeWilson@asu.edu.

Like The State Press on Facebook and follow @statepress on Twitter.

×