Research Roundup: Load-bearing origami structures, senioritis and more

ASU's research and The State Press reports from the last week

ReseachRoundup.jpg

Illustration published on Monday, Feb. 19, 2018.

This week in ASU research news:

Load-bearing origami structures 

ASU researchers have designed a new method for developing load-bearing structures using a unique method: origami. 

Origami is not only the art of paper-folding, but is also used more widely to describe any folding practices.

ASU researchers have developed a way to have mobile origami structures that are also stable enough to handle large amounts of weight. The origami structures are able to hold up to 1600 times its own weight, even after it has been compressed and expanded back. 

The structures are built using triangulated cylindrical patterns that can be combined together to form a web of structures.

These structures could have a number of applications in fields, such as aerospace, medicine and robotics.

This week from the Science and Technology desk:

ASU experts weigh in: Is senioritis real?

"Senioritis is something that students claim to suffer from as graduation approaches." Illustration published on Tuesday, Oct. 2, 2018.

Relevant quote: “Senioritis is not an actual thing. It is a collection of feelings and behaviors that tend to make people feel less motivated when describing themselves near a finish line – feeling a decrease in energy and attention with sometimes anxiety and fear towards the future." – Aaron Krasnow, the associate vice president of Health and Counseling Services at ASU

ASU researchers develop blood test that can help predict cancer prognosis

ASU associate professor, Tony Hu, poses for a photo in the lab on the Tempe Campus in Tempe, Arizona, in January 2018. 

Relevant quote: "It's very important to know the hypoxia levels before a clinician starts any surgery or treatment. It is really difficult to profile (the markers) because the lifetime ... is so short ... no one can accurately profile it." – Tony Hu, an associate professor in the School of Biological and Health Systems Engineering

Reach the reporter at nesherwo@asu.edu or follow @thecolesherwood on Twitter. 

×