ASU women's hockey went 2-1 on its Missouri road trip

Many freshmen had a big weekend for the Sun Devils

Women's Hockey at Oceanside Ice Arena

ASU players celebrate a goal by senior defenseman KC McGinley (5) late in the third period of the Sun Devils' 5-2 win over Denver at Oceanside Ice Arena in Tempe, Arizona, on Friday, Feb. 2, 2018.

Over the weekend, the ASU women's hockey team took part in a Missouri Showcase Tournament in Springfield. The team played three games in three days, and after some hard fought battles, the Sun Devils came out with a 2-1 record. 

Game One: Thursday

The first game of the tournament resulted in an 8-1 ASU walloping against Concordia Ann Arbor. Nine different Sun Devils tallied points, and the team got off to an ideal start to its road trip. 

Leading the offensive attack for ASU was freshman forward Katharine Jones, who had three goals and an assist in a hat trick performance.

Among others, freshman forward Sydney Hancock deposited her first collegiate goal into the back of the net in the third period.

ASU out shot the Cardinals by nearly a 7-1 margin, and they were dominant in their first win of the tournament.

Game Two: Friday 

On the second day of a three-game trip, the Sun Devils came up with a 3-1 win against Aquinas College.

ASU freshman forward Danielle Dupont had two of her team's three goals in the contest, and her second goal of the game, which came midway through the first period, would prove to be the difference.

Dupont scored in the first and second period, and among others, the Sun Devils would also receive some help from freshman forward Finn Larson, who scored her first goal in college hockey.

The team would go on to close things out in the final 20 minutes of action, and ASU would skate away with its second win in as many days.

Game Three: Saturday

While the first two games of the Missouri Showcase went according to plan for ASU, the final day of the trip was one that escaped the team as they fell 5-0 at the hands of McKendree University.

ASU was out shot 44-13, and they were 0-4 on the power play in Saturday night's game. Earlier this week, the first American Collegiate Hockey Association rankings of the season came out, and McKendree came out ranked as the No. 2 team in the nation. 

ASU is currently ranked No. 12 nationally as well, but on Saturday, the Bearcats were able to get the best of the Sun Devils as they handed the team its first shutout loss of the season.

Nonetheless, the road trip still concluded with a 2-1 swing, and after nearly two weeks on the road, ASU will finally get a chance to play on its home ice when they take on Colorado State at Oceanside Ice Arena next weekend.

Reach the reporter at atbell1@asu.edu or follow @AndrewBell7 on Twitter.

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepressport on Twitter.

×