Daan Haven and John Reniewicki lead Sun Devils in Pre-Nationals

Haven finished 76th, Reniewicki 92nd in final regular season run

IMG_5525.JPG

ASU men's cross country race begins at the ASU Cross Country Invitational at Karsten Golf Course in Tempe, Arizona, on Friday, Oct. 20, 2017.

ASU redshirt sophomore Daan Haven and redshirt senior John Reniewicki led their respective teams in the Pre-Nationals invitational in Wisconsin. Haven finished 76th with a time of 21:34, while Reniewicki finished 92nd with a time of 24:59. 

Haven needed to make up a chunk of ground throughout the race to finish 76th. By the time she finished two kilometers, she was in 88th place. Haven eventually fought her way back in the next two kilometers, placing 75th at the end of four kilometers, leading to her 76th place finish. 

Reniewicki held pace for much of the run. He finished the two kilometer portion of the race in 92nd place. Reniewicki would hold a pace of nearly 5 minutes per mile to finish in the same spot he finished the first section of the race in. 

For the women's team, redshirt junior Samantha Ortega finished 97th, junior Alexis Nichols finished 109th, redshirt junior Anna Pruter finished 123rd and sophomore Megan Reniewicki finished 136th to round out the final scorers. The team scored 541 points overall, placing 20th out of 36 teams.

For the men's team, sophomore Fearghal Curtin finished 155th, sophomore Erik Gonzalez finished 159th, sophomore Jackson Lewis finished 164th and redshirt senior Garrett O'Toole finished 178th as the final scorers. The team placed 28th out of 35 teams overall scoring a total of 743 points. 

Reniewicki finishes the regular season with two meets being the Sun Devils' leader, with the second top finish being at the Mark Covert Classic. Haven finishes the season having three meets as the leading runner for the Devils, with the other two top finishes coming at the Stanford Invitational and the Dave Murray Invitational.

The next run for the Sun Devils will be the Pac-12 Championships on Oct. 26th in Stanford, Calif. 

Reach the reporter at jhorst2@asu.edu and follow @HorseySeven on Twitter.

Jeffrey HorstDigital editor-in-chief

Jeffrey Horst is the digital editor-in-chief of The State Press. He previously served as the publication's sports editor and worked at Cronkite News and ArizonaSports.com.

×