Gov. Doug Ducey appoints Fred DuVal to Arizona Board of Regents

DuVal's appointment is effective immediately

21370_fred-duval-election-1-5o.jpg

Democratic gubernatorial candidate Fred DuVal gives a concession speech to supporters at the Renaissance Hotel in Phoenix, Arizona, on Tuesday, Nov. 4, 2014.

Gov. Doug Ducey appointed his former gubernatorial opponent to the Arizona Board of Regents Monday. 

Ducey announced the appointment of Fred DuVal in a series of tweets. DuVal will replace Rick Myers, whose term has ending. 

“In Arizona, we know how to work together, across party lines, put aside our differences and get positive things done for the people we serve,” Ducey said in the tweets. “Few individuals have a better record and history of doing that than @FredDuVal.”

DuVal and Ducey ran against each other in the race for Arizona's governor in 2014. In addition, DuVal previously served on the board as a regent from 2006-12.

"I think this is a great sign of bipartisanship by (Ducey)," Aundrea DeGravina, an ABOR student regent and graduate student at the Sandra Day O'Connor College of Law, said. "Just because you might be a registered Republican or Democrat doesn't mean you can't work with people across the aisle."

ABOR Chair Ron Shoopman vouched for DuVal's experience and abilities in an ABOR statement

“His experience as a former regent, his tremendous advocacy for public higher education and his keen policy insight will benefit our universities, our students and the entire state," Shoopman said in the release. 

DuVal said he was grateful for the appointment. 

"I look forward to using my previous policy experience as a regent to make a significant impact on our state's workforce needs and economic development and to make college more affordable for all students," DuVal said in a news release by Ducey's office. 

DuVal's appointment is effective immediately, according to a press release by ABOR. However, when the legislative session begins in January, the state senate will be sent his nomination for final approval.

"I think he will be a valuable voice to the board," DeGravina said. "He knows the complexities of the university system and the complexities of the role the regents have with it. I can't wait to pick his brain and learn from both his past experience and to see what he brings to the table now."

This is a developing story. More information will be added as it is made available. 

Reach the reporter at mlshuman@asu.edu or follow @mackenzieshuman on Twitter.

×