News moves fast. Keep up with national, state and local political happenings with this week's politics round-up from The State Press. 

The semester is coming to an end but politics never does. Here's what you need to know before your finals:

China-backed language institute remains at ASU, amid national closures

Confucius institutes generally draw pressure from U.S. politicians for alleged communist overtones, but officials in ASU's own Chinese-based program disagree. 

After a verbal slip-up by Vice President of Government Affairs at ASU Matt Salmon, officials and lawmakers expressed concern over whether funds were being mixed between the Pentagon-funded and Chinese-funded institutes. 

Ed Pastor, former Arizona congressman and ASU donor, dead at 75

Former U.S. Congressman Ed Pastor speaks at a "New Voices Forum" hosted by the Arizona Hispanic Chamber of Commerce at the A. E. England Building in Phoenix, Arizona on April 17, 2017.

Ed Pastor, the former Arizona congressman and ASU contributor died on Tuesday. 

Several leaders released statements honoring Pastor for his contributions to ASU and the community at large, including ASU President Michael Crow, who said in a statement that Pastor's legacy will live on through ASU's Pastor Center for Politics and Public Service. 

USG reckons with turbulent semester

Several Undergraduate Student Government organizations had a rough semester including complaints of bylaw violations, technical difficulties and internal struggles that led to the resignation and ouster of two USGT executives. 

USGT senate president Joshua Blinkoff blames poor management, while other officials promise a brighter future ahead for USG. 

Education secretary proposes broad changes for sexual misconduct policy

Secretary of Education Betsy Devos poses for a photo in Washington, D.C., on Thursday, Dec. 1, 2016.

Betsy DeVos' Department of Education released proposals that could shift policies surrounding sexual harassment at America schools. 

The proposals would limit the definition of sexual harassment to instances that explicitly affect a victim's education. 

ASU requests new academic programs from ABOR

In a request to the Arizona Board of Regents, ASU requested permission to create 23 new degrees ranging from sustainability to education.  

Reach the reporter at cscragg@asu.edu or follow @monsoonchaser on Twitter. 

Like State Press on Facebook and follow @statepress on Twitter.

×